nashwen

Jan 10, 2005
UK
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I'd share the recent find I made at a cave on the Gower peninsular, it appears to be of late Iron age to early Roman
I'm told that its likely to be lunar deity of Celtic tradition.

I'd be grateful to find out more if anyone has any information on anything similar IMG_5772.JPG IMG_4614.JPG

Upvote 31

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe touch bases with a Archaeologist if you Dare,,,Congrats

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an incredible find, and I think it should be reported. Being found in a cave, maybe there are more artifacts and important information to be found.

Again, wow!

Tradertom

Jul 20, 2016
South Central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP DEUS, AT PRO plus several older detector going back 45 years.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A really special find. Probably should be in a museum.
Congratulations!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find, different from the Celtic statues found over here, but I do agree your ID seems spot on to me. Doesn't look Roman.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
nashwen

nashwen

Jan 10, 2005
UK
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it is currently with a local museum who are in the process of assessing it.

I think ultimately it will will end up staying with the museum with or without my agreement

apparently it will be assessed under treasure trove

does anyone have any experience in dealing with this if so I'd appreciate any advise you may have

thanks

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find . If they keep it despite the fact you found it I would insist you be given a a duplicate of it at the least . This is a classic example of a find ; if genuine should be a banner but just is not recognized by most . Great find

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the possible significant find! :notworthy:

OP
OP
nashwen

nashwen

Jan 10, 2005
UK
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find . If they keep it despite the fact you found it I would insist you be given a a duplicate of it at the least . This is a classic example of a find ; if genuine should be a banner but just is not recognized by most . Great find

Good idea, it would be nice to be able to keep a duplicate. The museum have already had an artist sketch the figure, I'll attach a copy once I have it uploaded

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a banner vote from me! Congrats on a find of a lifetime ;-)

OP
OP
nashwen

nashwen

Jan 10, 2005
UK
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a close up photo of the head and some human remains found at the same time (all correctly reported)

IMG_5773.JPG Radius.JPG human remains.JPG

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it is currently with a local museum who are in the process of assessing it.

I think ultimately it will will end up staying with the museum with or without my agreement

apparently it will be assessed under treasure trove

does anyone have any experience in dealing with this if so I'd appreciate any advise you may have

thanks
Lots of experience.
It can't be assessed on the Treasure Act because it doesn't fall under its terms. Unless South Wales has different Laws than the rest of the UK? (First question, & I'm assuming not)

When I first saw it, you never had the UK flag on your post, so being such an unusual statue, I assumed European (Which it still could be in origin)
I assume you had permission from the landowner? If so, they have rights on the object, unless you agreed what happens to them. This can be done retrospectively.
If its Govt. land then they maybe have rights to claim it.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an incredible find. Once the museum authenticates and identifies it as a Pagan Statue, please post it. I have a feeling that the Museum will make an monetary offer to you or the land owner. They probably won't be returning it. Keep us posted and once you have "A Letter of Authenticity " , I would definitely vote for a banner.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an incredible find. Once the museum authenticates and identifies it as a Pagan Statue, please post it. I have a feeling that the Museum will make an monetary offer to you or the land owner. They probably won't be returning it. Keep us posted and once you have "A Letter of Authenticity " , I would definitely vote for a banner.

Generally nowadays Museums don't make many monetary offers outside of the Treasure Act process, & we have yet to establish what grounds they have to keep hold of it at all.
The landownership question will help my response in establishing Legal Rights.

OP
OP
nashwen

nashwen

Jan 10, 2005
UK
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of experience.
It can't be assessed on the Treasure Act because it doesn't fall under its terms. Unless South Wales has different Laws than the rest of the UK? (First question, & I'm assuming not)

When I first saw it, you never had the UK flag on your post, so being such an unusual statue, I assumed European (Which it still could be in origin)
I assume you had permission from the landowner? If so, they have rights on the object, unless you agreed what happens to them. This can be done retrospectively.
If its Govt. land then they maybe have rights to claim it.

Hi Crusader
I don't know much about the treasure act, but do know that there would be no different law in South Wales. Yes, landowner will have a say and they are aware.

Just updated my profile a bit "with the flag" I've been dormant for too long on this board.

There were a lot of finds here early in the 20th centaury, although nothing since then as far as I'm aware. Not at all sure what will happen eventually or how any value will be assessed, if you have any info on this id like to hear more please feel free to send a PM

Thanks
Nash

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Crusader
I don't know much about the treasure act, but do know that there would be no different law in South Wales. Yes, landowner will have a say and they are aware.

Just updated my profile a bit "with the flag" I've been dormant for too long on this board.

There were a lot of finds here early in the 20th centaury, although nothing since then as far as I'm aware. Not at all sure what will happen eventually or how any value will be assessed, if you have any info on this id like to hear more please feel free to send a PM

Thanks
Nash

I'm unsure why you handed it over. I would not have. They have no legal right under the Treasure Act unless its deemed to be of significant national historical interest. (One of the grey areas) Or it was from a ritual site which is another grey area. It is over 300 years old but it has no silver or gold content (or at least not 10% or more), so they can only record it under the PAS & return to finder. If you want it back & you have an agreement with the landowner, go get it. I assume you still have the PAS Receipt?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS. If they fudge it to be under the Act, you will get an independent valuation committee report. But this will not happen for at least 18 months. If they haven't asked for your details & the owners details (postal addresses) then ask for it back. Because these details are required by the Coroner to start the process.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread