Cemetary Doesnt Give Up Too Many Ghosts

ivy_walls

Sep 1, 2006
Mishawaka Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE & Garrett Ace 250
Cemetary Doesn't Give Up Too Many Ghosts

For a couple weeks I have been researching one of my favorite haunts ... Laing Cemetery Park. And, since it's been cold, I haven't had much else to do anyways. I have had luck there finding older farm parts and such, once I found a wheat penny, but not much else. Last week I picked up a book at the Library that mentioned my park and had an actual picture of the cemetery that has long been gone which I thought was very cool !!
DSC00046a.jpg
Then I found this picture which was taken looking right at the hill I climb to where I thought the cemetery used to be, but I don't think so anymore since the previous picture looks like the cemetery is on flat ground.
1934-01-29aa.jpg
Here is a picture I took today showing the hill and to the left, out of the picture, is a McDonald's. The house in the picture must have sat between the the hill and the McDonald's parking lot or there abouts.
scan050aaa.jpg
As you can tell there is still a good amount of snow on the ground, but it is quickly melting with temps above freezing all day and all night long. Since I just so happened to have my equipment with me in my work truck I decided to go hit the park again. Here is a picture of the park area from last summer - doesn't it make you impatient for warm weather ??
DSC02641a.jpg
Anyhow here is what I found today. First was a foil lid from an old cold cream jar. I included a hand drawn copy since its hard to read what the actual lid says. Any idea how old ????
DSC00046a.jpg
Then I found a couple a things by a tree. I don't think they are related to one another, but worth while none the less. I should have put a quarter in there or one of the new one dollar coins to reference the size.
tinlid.jpg
And last but not least my first coin of the new THAW (and the only coin so far) a 1956 D Lincoln Wheatie !!
DSC02648a.jpg
DSC02649a.jpg
Thanks for lookin and if you're bored I have moved my web site to a new location and made some improvements .... check it out if you want !!

Mark (A.K.A. ivy_walls)

Attachments

• DSC02651a.jpg
    DSC02651a.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,267
Upvote 0

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Re: Cemetary Doesn't Give Up Too Many Ghosts

That wheatie sure looks pretty for being dug. I wish our here in Oregon looked that good out of the ground! Great finds and pictures ;D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ivy,
Great post & pictures. Thanks for sharing that.
That wheat looks in great shape. Did you clean it up? If so, how?
Thanks,
MM

T

TreasureTales

Good research. It will pay off bigtime for you.

The thing on the left side of the second photo is a can key...like what was used to open sardine cans years ago. Maybe you knew this, if so I'm sorry. The other items is similar to the things I find in playgrounds every so often. What is it? Anybody know? Almost looks like the end of a mechanical pencil, but the things I've been finding aren't.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon

Really nice pix. I have hunted a couple of pioneer cemetaries & found nothing but old tin cans & some clad. I do enjoy visiting the old graves & passing on some best wishes though. You can just feel the history & the tough times pass right through you.
Spotz

Eddy1H

Dec 17, 2006
Rockwall Texas
Detector(s) used
Cz20, Cz6a, 1212X, Minelab, Muskateer Advantage Whites, XLT, Surf PI, Garrett TR

Realy nice display of pics, and yea I am ready for good weather again

Eddy

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Its always nice to be able to draw some sort of conclusions when researching a spot.

Great job and thanks for sharing.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice finds and good you could get out! Just don't dig too deep, LOL. HH, Mike

OP
OP
ivy_walls

ivy_walls

Sep 1, 2006
Mishawaka Indiana
Detector(s) used

ModernMiner said:
Ivy,
Great post & pictures. Thanks for sharing that.
That wheat looks in great shape. Did you clean it up? If so, how?
Thanks,
MM

Nope, it is just the way I found it.

Mark (A.K.A. ivy_walls)

OP
OP
ivy_walls

ivy_walls

Sep 1, 2006
Mishawaka Indiana
Detector(s) used

indepmo said:
Thing on the right looks like a dart tip.

In case anyone is curious, the pointy end is rubber ???

Mark (A.K.A ivy_walls)

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool, your iron thing looks like half of a hay hook

Good Job

HH
-GC

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida

Well the thing on the left looks like an old bottle opener with a screwdriver on the end. We had one when I was a kid. I tried to find one on ebay to show you but couldn't find one exactly like it. But I remember them. :o

OP
OP
ivy_walls

ivy_walls

Sep 1, 2006
Mishawaka Indiana
Detector(s) used

Doug Mauck said:
That 'hill' seems to be man-made. Is it an Indian burial mound?

I don't think so ..... if you see on the other side of the creek there are more hills similar to this one. Who knows though?? It could be!!

Mark (A.K.A. ivy_walls)

Ted Mac

Sep 11, 2006
Sylvania, OH
Detector(s) used
Compass/Coinscanner Pro, Teknetics Mk 1

Cool old pictures and neat finds. I am curious though, the hill shown in the old picture seems higher than the one in your modern pic. Was the road way filled in? Whats your thought on that?

Ted

OP
OP
ivy_walls

ivy_walls

Sep 1, 2006
Mishawaka Indiana
Detector(s) used

Ted Mac said:
Cool old pictures and neat finds. I am curious though, the hill shown in the old picture seems higher than the one in your modern pic. Was the road way filled in? Whats your thought on that?

Ted

I noticed that too. On the other side of the hill the ground level is much lower than on the McD's side of the hill. Also there are obvious signs of erosion on the other side as well. When the snow clears and the ground is thawed, I am gonna hit the area hard where that house used to be. It may be futile but I'm gonna do it anyhow !!!
Thanks for looking,

Mark (A.K.A. ivy_walls)

chewi4u

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2013
Osceola, IN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hi great little article you have here. I just so happened to be down at that park today doing a little metal detecting myself. Didn't find much but some clad.I did have a park ranger stop by and question what I was doing there. I showed him my metal detecting permit for all Mishawaka parks. He kind of acted like he'd never seen one before. I told him that from all the research that I had seen online that the cemetery seem to be at the top of the hill. So I didn't see any reason why I couldn't be searching down by the playground. He continued to tell me that the cemetery was actually located closer to the big tree at the bottom of the steps. In any case to see what I had found which was a few pull tabs a couple nails two quarters and a couple pennies. to make a long story shorthe said my permit did give me permission to search any Park. The only reason that he came and talked to me was because this park contains a cemetery. And he says it is a Class A misdemeanor to dig on a cemetery. the police officer was really nice about itand told me that he was going to look into it because he wasn't really sure himself. my question to you is have you ever had any run ins with the park rangers at this park?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread