Cent Guys...I got a question...weird Zincoln

Gareb

Sep 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a hundred dollars worth of CWR dimes today while dumping off some halves. I am going out of town so I just checked them in the bank lot before stopping off at my last dump bank. In one of the last rolls there was a blockage. This is typically a penny someone stuck in, when I got it out I was right. But it looked very grey like a dirty dime. I thought cool a steelie someone thought was a dime. Not a great score but something different.
Then I flipped it over and there was no wheat stalks but Lincoln sitting upon a log. As it turns out it is a slate gray 2009 D formative years penny. There is no copper showing at all.
Now here is the question. I know there are errors on dimes, quarters etc that are missing the outer layer and just show the clad composition. Is this even possible for a Zincoln??? How do they prep the blanks for it??
I did not take a pic as I am getting ready to go out of town. I can if I need to but I am just curious if anyone has ever heard of this type of error on a cent???
It is not magnetic, and slate grey in color all around, sides etc.
I have not weighed it yet but it does feel a little light compared to other Zincolns. If I do not get the chance tonight, when I get back I will post weight, pics etc. :help: :icon_scratch:
Thanks.

Upvote 0

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know about these types of errors, if it is an error. I do know that there are Chemicals that can remove the copper from a Zn Penny.

OP
OP
G

Gareb

Sep 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess this might be possible. I need to actually weigh it and see if it is truly lighter. If it is the same weight that may tell me something. I would guess that the missing copper should weigh something.
Thanks for posting this video.
I would still like to know out of curiosity if this type of error is still possible. But if it is then it's probably not worth much if you could just remove the copper so easily by chemical means.
Thanks.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gareb said:
I guess this might be possible. I need to actually weigh it and see if it is truly lighter. If it is the same weight that may tell me something. I would guess that the missing copper should weigh something.
Thanks for posting this video.
I would still like to know out of curiosity if this type of error is still possible. But if it is then it's probably not worth much if you could just remove the copper so easily by chemical means.
Thanks.
I've heard there is an actual unplated zinc error cent. I have never seen a graded one though personally. I found one myself a couple years ago. It weighs 2.48 grams.

zincoln.jpg zinc rev.jpg

Attachments

• zincoln.jpg
    zincoln.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 479
  • zinc rev.jpg
    zinc rev.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 504
OP
OP
G

Gareb

Sep 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be hard to tell the difference between one with the copper chemically removed and the genuine error.
[/quote]

I agree completely so this would probably keep the value low but by the same token, if you go through all the trouble of removing it, why would you spend it for a penny afterwards. This would seem like a waste of time and money to produce nothing. So under the conditions I got it, I would have to believe it is an authentic error.

Thanks for all the help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread