Cent hunters

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have always been a silver searcher. Been doing it for about 7 years now. For the past couple years I have been on the fence about searching cents. I think I am finally gonna take the plunge. Is there any thing in particular you guys do that makes it easier to search them or is it just a slow process. I don’t mind it being slow after all that’s part of the fun I think CRH is relaxing. I guess I’m just looking for some pointers and also a good place to learn about errors. Thanks for any advice

Upvote 0

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the addiction ! I like cents - they are so easy to get into , everybody has em and they're cheap ! They are not slow at all ( depending on what you are pulling ) I only pull wheaties , Indian Heads, earlier Canadians ( 1963 and back ) I think you are going to enjoy cents !

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like cents, because I find a TON of keepers, unlike nickels and dimes where I find MAYBE 5 keepers in a box.

What you keep is obviously up to you. I keep 2009's (I know, I'm odd) and anything 82 or older. The 82's get weighed to sort out the copper ones. Wheats either go in to empty spaces in my books, or I take them to a dealer to sell/trade for some of the rarer wheats I still need. Coppers all get re-rolled and boxed as bullion in the hopes that someday it will be legal to melt them.

Still waiting to be lucky enough to find an IHP.

Last edited:

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the addiction ! I like cents - they are so easy to get into , everybody has em and they're cheap ! They are not slow at all ( depending on what you are pulling ) I only pull wheaties , Indian Heads, earlier Canadians ( 1963 and back ) I think you are going to enjoy cents !

You exclude the '64 Canadians Argentium? I can imagine why...it just seems kind of weird because it's still a young head haha. 1964 is a strange date for CRH'ers....loved in dimes, halves, and quarters, hated in nickels and (by some) Canadian pennies!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mistake Quin , I actually do pull all "young head" Queen Elizabeths - I really like the design !

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
So I have always been a silver searcher. Been doing it for about 7 years now. For the past couple years I have been on the fence about searching cents. I think I am finally gonna take the plunge. Is there any thing in particular you guys do that makes it easier to search them or is it just a slow process. I don’t mind it being slow after all that’s part of the fun I think CRH is relaxing. I guess I’m just looking for some pointers and also a good place to learn about errors. Thanks for any advice

I find cents to be relaxing, and very productive compared to searching for silver. I also save (hoard) copper, yet there are a ton of errors and varieties to look for as well as wheats. Try the Lincoln Cent Resource to start with - that will keep you busy for a while!

Lincoln Cent Errors

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LORDY :laughing9:______________ again I repeat-----ERRORS:treasurechest:

just sold an '84-P zincoln reverse CUD for $50 to a collector of just CUD coins
$8 for a pair of '69-D copper die clashes
sold dozens of Canada copper rolls at 2X+ face
LAM's on copper & zinc go for 2 to 5 bucks each
greaser wheats at 300-400X face
HQ early wheats in lots at 30X++ face
---- and on and on and on------ error pennies rapidly morph into paper money ---- or, cash :tongue3:
with nuttin' but dirty fingers to cause youze da stress 8-)
youze can get a killer return on cent boxes:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

and then_____ a chance of an FE is better than a lottery ticket:laughing9:

OP
OP
M

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input everyone. I’m gonna try to get a box today.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm interested in seeing one of the so called "zinc" lams.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i like do pennies my oldest is a 1906 IHP and i do get foreign coins too

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
Cents are great! You should try them! Much better than the halves these days! I just finished dumping twenty boxes and got 5 40s, so you should start doing cents and stick with them. Even quarters are better than half dollars if you try them enough.

OP
OP
M

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cents are great! You should try them! Much better than the halves these days! I just finished dumping twenty boxes and got 5 40s, so you should start doing cents and stick with them. Even quarters are better than half dollars if you try them enough.

20 boxes and 5 40% that sucks. Halves have never been that bad for me. Quarters have been decent in the past. I’ve been doing this a long time. I won’t be sticking with any particular denomination

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 3, 3 lbs. coffee cans of wheaties, I looked online for "books to sort them in but didn't really know what I was looking for. What does everyone keep there penny's in. Who make a good "book" to sort them in?

rcs

Mar 15, 2017
Western Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have antique 1/2 gallon ball mason jars that I keep my wheats in. I like the look.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Cents are a blast. I love pulling wheats and alure is the indian head which are hard to come by. Think ive pulled like 10-12 since 2008

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have 3, 3 lbs. coffee cans of wheaties, I looked online for "books to sort them in but didn't really know what I was looking for. What does everyone keep there penny's in. Who make a good "book" to sort them in?

If you plan on putting them in folders and removal when a better coin comes along, then a DANSCO album would be best, expensive but practical when it comes to constant adds & removals., plus you can see both sides of the coin without removing from folder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread