Center Piece Of My Collection 400+ Year Old Clay Water Bottle

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought some might enjoy seeing the center piece of my collection, others may have see it years ago when I posted it.

The water bottle was found in New Mexico along with the iron axe with handle and a bowl. I have had it for over 25 years, I bought it from a good friend who had a business dealing in antique newspapers who acquired it in a trade, I also use to deal in antique newspapers, he was not a collector but knew I was and knew I would be interested. I paid $700 for all 3 pieces and was offered a $1000 for the bottle alone by another customer who came in before I left, he was the VP of the St Louis Archaeology Society and really wanted the bottle. The last offer I turned down was $5,000.

The Univ of new Mexico who examined it stated it was over 400 years old at that time using the leather to carbon date it. It is made from the bladder of a grizzly bear, that was filled with water, then covered in clay and allowed to dry. It has leather carrying straps on it that holds fetishes and bird whistle made from bone, the top cap on bottle is from the tip of a buffalo horn,

The iron axe on the right came with the deal as did the bowl on the left holding game marbles in front of the clay figure. The axe has the original handle, wrapped in leather and has an iron bit. I turned down a $1500 dollar offer for axe over 15 years ago.

The university said the iron had to have been from when the Conquistadors came north from Mexico into New Mexico as that was the only way they could have gotten iron then. Only reason the pieces are so well preserved is because New Mexico is so dry and they pieces were protected from elements.

There are stories on each of the other pieces on the shelf, this is one of 2 book cases, also have curio cabinet full of artifacts and a glass display case with electric rotating shelves.

Water Bottle.jpeg Indian Artifact Display Case1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow very nice collection! I am envious of all the native american artifacts!

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are awesome Treasure Hunter !
I am biased towards chipped flint artifacts more than the ceramics, but that bottle is special. I would have wondered how they could have produced that, and am glad you explained the process. Thanks for showing that.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
pretty sweet and rare

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice collection, those artifacts are amazing, very interesting information as well!
The bowl looks very thick like it could be made of stone or wood, or is it pottery?
Also are you aware of any other preserved water bottles of that type that have been found?
Hey thanks for posting those again, I'd never seen then before.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful, we see better stuff here than in museums and that alone is awesome. I'm curious to see your curio cabinet and rotating display, thanks for sharing the stories!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Superior collection T_H! What got you started collecting? I have found a few arrowheads, and a Yavapai rain collection pot in the Bradshaw Mountains while gold prospecting, but I don't have the knowledge to put a collection like yours together. Wow, incredible! :notworthy:

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool and unique display.From the bladder of a grizzly, awesome! Was the iron axe originally an axe or was it made into one after they found the iron? What are the game stones made of? Heck of a find.

OP
OP
Treasure_Hunter

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Superior collection T_H! What got you started collecting? I have found a few arrowheads, and a Yavapai rain collection pot in the Bradshaw Mountains while gold prospecting, but I don't have the knowledge to put a collection like yours together. Wow, incredible! :notworthy:

Terry, I use to live in Missouri and part of my job was riding my fiber optic route which ran through the country side, down country and state roads. One day I stopped to relieve myself as ! am literally in the country so no gas stations or stores near. I walked out into a corn field and while relieving myself I looked down and there on my right side was a nice arrow head. I started planning my lunch to be there every day and I started finding more and more arrowheads. I started looking at more fields after talking to the farmers to get permissions.

One day I had a man stop and ask me what I was doing while hunting a field, I told him hunting artifacts with owners permission and he asked if I had ever hunted water. I told him no and he told me his hunting partner had moved and he needed another partner as he had health issues and couldn't hunt alone. He told me he would teach me how to hunt water if I hunted with him. Once I started hunting creeks and streams I rarely hunted fields, in fields I would find maybe 2 whole points to every 8 broken, in water I would find 8 good to ever 2 broken. On my best day hunting water I found 40 whole points including dove tails.

The streams I hunted were stone bottom feed by springs. Best time to hunt was after a heavy rain storm after water receded, you look down stream behind anything that obstructs the water flow like rocks, logs, weeds etc. The indians camped along the creeks and streams because they were spring fed and many had bluffs and hills to block the winds. With heave rains the creek and stream sides would collapse and fall in the water and many times they contained artifacts. I found thousands of artifacts over a 20 year period.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hello again! I would love to see your points some time! Especially of the rain collection thing you mentioned.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The indians camped along the creeks and streams because they were spring fed and many had bluffs and hills to block the winds.

remember too..wounded animals go to water....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions