Attachments

• DSCN1757.JPG
    DSCN1757.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 427
Upvote 0

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
if you realy really want us to enjoy to the fullest please several more and different angle photos so we can see it all. with coin ion photo so we can judge size better. thank you a head of time and for posting it in the first place for us to enjoy.. again thanks Terry

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I understand.
If I think about it, when I am in the field, I will do this - just for you.

Flint-seeker

Oct 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
dognose said:
I understand.
If I think about it, when I am in the field, I will do this - just for you.

Well, I think what he means is to take some closer up pics, with different angles now (now that it's back home). I know I'd like to see some closer up images with a pen or coin to give a reference to size.

Thanks!

Shane

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I understand. I will do this if I think about it at the time.

I travel pretty light and am in the field for some time.

I am many images of the relics when I find them over the years, very few have anything to derive scale from. If I have something to use, I will do it.

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
thank you Au!! i looked back at my responce and yes i sure needed an interrupter and you are good at it. Dog!! as Au!! said i meant for you to go home and clean the mud off them then some more photos.. if i could post photos i would post a set the way i think most every one on Tnet would like to see newfinds posted,even if they do not always do their posts that way. Terry

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Here ya go.

Been busy in the fields on the tractor and the rain has been crazy.

The preform is 8 1/2 inches in length, 3 1/4 inches width and 1 3/8 inches in the thickest area. A number of plow strikes on both faces are visible. There is no polishing on the relic. From Shelby County Indiana.

The second is a hard stone granite adz, with a flat surface on the underside, 4 inches length, 2 inches wide and approximately 7/8 in thickness. From Maddison County Indiana.

Attachments

• DSCN1851.JPG
    DSCN1851.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 281
  • DSCN1852.JPG
    DSCN1852.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 277
  • DSCN1853.JPG
    DSCN1853.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 271
  • DSCN1854.JPG
    DSCN1854.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 269
  • DSCN1855.JPG
    DSCN1855.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 258
  • DSCN1856.JPG
    DSCN1856.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 268

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
on the tractor, you do not have much time for yourself and you got to eat.. thanks for the new infomation and photos .. after studding everything it looks like it has a worked bit end pointed down in both photos showing it. i now think it is a hoe,it seems a little long for a hoe but if it was a hand held hoe not a halfted one it would need to be. thanks again for posting i like your hoe are whatever it is if somebody that knows more than me tells us it is not a hoe.. Terry

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio
Both are nice finds dognose! There is no way i can ever be a farmer and drive a tractor and plow. I would look at every rock and stop and get off tractor so much that i wouldnt get anything done, and would worry that i'm scarring artifacts and breaking stuff! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
There is no use polish or wear on the granite preform. I think from studying it that is may be a preform for a large gorget but it could of been hoe I recon.

Other possible end results could of been a large celt or pestle.

I have found in the past large pestles which were very flat on the top and bottom with thinning around the edges still visible.
I also had found a large square polled celt which is just a bit shorted in length than this relic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread