Central Wisconsin pottery shards examples

Vicegrip

Aug 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Troy X5, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I would share some examples of shards I have found over the years.
I would have to say that for me Baraboo net wrapped is the most common type found.
Cannon correct me if I'm wrong and feel free to put name type to examples (I forget).

scan0001.jpg

Enjoy,
Devin

Upvote 0

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I would have to say that Baraboo net wrapped is one of the more rare varieties I've come across although it dominates some sites. All the various Madison ware types are what I have found the most of over all... you do have some nice examples of the net wrapped though! It's been so long since I found any that it's fun to look at again-

OP
OP
Vicegrip

Vicegrip

Aug 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Troy X5, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve0 said:
Devin nice examples there, I dont know anything about them I just heard cord wrapped once. Is there any books to look at?
Thanks Steve0
Hey Steve0 it looks like you found a nice shard last Sunday. I'm guessing again but I think it's was Madison ware.

The weather is crappy so I was looking at old stuff. years ago when Cannon was in school doing his studies we went though our shards . At the time I knew the names because Cannon told me so, I'm sure cannon has a book or two.. The reason I say cord wrapped was the most common for me is, one almost all my shards came from one site and two I have the most zip lock bags labeled cord wrapped. :icon_scratch:

Cannon do you remember this I have 100+ shards u tagged.
scan0002-1.jpg

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Too funny- that was from back in the day for sure. You do have a nice grouping of net wrapped there, you ever work any more on peicing it together? Wish we still had open access sites like that to go to... :(

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
That's an interesting peice- don't find a whole lot with the mending/suspension holes. The material itself is typical in that it's grogg/grit tempered but I can't put a name on the typology off hand. I know for a fact that I've seen other vessels with that design but it's not anything I have found in this area. I would have been poking around those tree roots a little bit more! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread