Chalcopyrite, sylvanite, calaverite?

robzom27

Greenie
Dec 29, 2010
Any guesses? Sounds off with my md20 metal detector. I can scrape it out of the rock with a metal pick. Lots of pressure to scrape it out. Comes off as shavings and small soft pieces. Can't scrape it off with my fingernail though. Nothing like a picker. I detect around old silver and gold mines. They are known for copper as well. I have crushed and panned but the yellow/brassy mineral isn't as heavy as flour gold i have found before. It still settles in with the black sands in my gold pan. I prospect in southern California in the desert areas. My guess is Chalcopyrite but it just looks a little different. Any help would be appreciated. Anybody have any experience with sylvanite or calaverite? Thanks, Rob....

Attachments

• what is it.png
    what is it.png
    531.5 KB · Views: 20

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any guesses? Sounds off with my md20 metal detector. I can scrape it out of the rock with a metal pick. Lots of pressure to scrape it out. Comes off as shavings and small soft pieces. Can't scrape it off with my fingernail though. Nothing like a picker. I detect around old silver and gold mines. They are known for copper as well. I have crushed and panned but the yellow/brassy mineral isn't as heavy as flour gold i have found before. It still settles in with the black sands in my gold pan. I prospect in southern California in the desert areas. My guess is Chalcopyrite but it just looks a little different. Any help would be appreciated. Anybody have any experience with sylvanite or calaverite? Thanks, Rob....
Looks like iron pyrite to me. If so, those pieces you chip out will likely stick to a strong magnet.

OP
OP
R

robzom27

Greenie
Dec 29, 2010
My md20 metal detector also discriminates pretty easily against iron pyrite.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread