Water in ball mill or grind dry?

robzom27

Greenie
Dec 29, 2010
Hello everybody! I was just wondering everybody's setup for grinding ore. I have found a nice-looking vein that has a little fine gold and some silver. I have crushed it down to 20 mesh and have started grinding it down in my ball mill with 3/4-inch chrome ball mills. Is a dry grind acceptable? Should i add water? I'm grinding about 10lbs right now for a small experiment. I have used water before, but it makes such a nasty mess when retrieving the ore. Does anyone have any experience at this that would share their knowledge?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everybody! I was just wondering everybody's setup for grinding ore. I have found a nice-looking vein that has a little fine gold and some silver. I have crushed it down to 20 mesh and have started grinding it down in my ball mill with 3/4-inch chrome ball mills. Is a dry grind acceptable? Should i add water? I'm grinding about 10lbs right now for a small experiment. I have used water before, but it makes such a nasty mess when retrieving the ore. Does anyone have any experience at this that would share their knowledge?
I'm pretty sure standard use of wet grinding of ore is as a stage in a continuous feed circuit. eg. Coarse feed slurry in fine product slurry out for further processing. That was what was done at the mine I worked for.
Re screen your product and re run the oversize through the "ball mill".

Good luck.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread