spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did any of you ever participate in the good old past time of chalk sock fighting? Back in the 60's most candy stores also sold these huge round chalk bars. They came in several colors like yellow, green, white, blue, and pink. For the most part the chalk was used to make boards for other games like hopscotch, scully, boxes, etc.. We loved loading the stick into an old sock and crushing it with a rock. Chose up sides and then chase each other around slapping the sock on to the opponent. Usually after 5 minutes teams meant nothing, it was just a free-for-all the kid with the most hits was the loser ;D

P.S. They also made great hand grenades :laughing9:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We never thought of that, Spartacus. They still sell sidewalk chalk in the stores here. So if what you said works, me and the grandkids just might give it a try.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
We never thought of that, Spartacus. They still sell sidewalk chalk in the stores here. So if what you said works, me and the grandkids just might give it a try.

It works, since I grew up in the city we invented many a game besides the normal ones. Besides it's good exercise running around outdoors and having some fun. Just make sure that swings to the head and face are off limits. Also make sure everyone has there own color and add up the hits when you finish. Let me know how you enjoyed it too.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Sounds like a whale of a lot more fun than all the hard , sharp , heavy objects we flung at each other as kids in the name of fun and games .
Jim

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
truckinbutch said:
Sounds like a whale of a lot more fun than all the hard , sharp , heavy objects we flung at each other as kids in the name of fun and games .
Jim

I know what you mean, I've had plenty of dirt fights. We would dig out a piece of hard earth and fling it at each other, many times there would be little stones in them and that would smart. :D We used 2 types of socks; the shorter ankle to shin size were for grenades, the knee socks were filled and swung around like a mace. The longer ones also acted like rockets for further distances, as you would swing it around and let go like a slingshot. I bet it would still catch on today, if kids got away from their indoor entertainment for a while. :D

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
spartacus53 said:
truckinbutch said:
Jim

I know what you mean, I've had plenty of dirt fights. We would dig out a piece of hard earth and fling it at each other, many times there would be little stones in them and that would smart. :D We used 2 types of socks; the shorter ankle to shin size were for grenades, the knee socks were filled and swung around like a mace. The longer ones also acted like rockets for further distances, as you would swing it around and let go like a slingshot. I bet it would still catch on today, if kids got away from their indoor entertainment for a while. :D

I wish me & my friends were smart enough to come up with something like this.............we would have wars with our BB guns, welts & sores all over, hell we didnt even wear safety glasses. Then again we sniffed a lot of "ethel" gasoline & chewed on the lead splitshot sinkers while fishin. I still walk into walls occasionaly after all these years. :-\

B

BigDan

Oh my...bb gun fights

I had a little pistol that fired so slow you could see the bb fire...always about 45 degrees to the right of my aim. My friend had a Daisy, the kind you cocked all day to take out an elephant. Outside in the cold, his first shot hit my parka in the button closest to my neck. Big, think green button...shattered. I ran for my life.

This escalated to where in the summer about six of us would go out in the woods with bottle rockets and homemade copper tube "rifles". That was fun until Murray brought his pocket rocket and m80's.

We were good kids. Fairly well behaved. I think.

The chalk and sock idea sounds much better.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since we worked in the fields a lot, we had a lot of dirt clod fights. We had BB gun fights too. I really like the fireworks fights we used to have, and 45 years ago we got a little better quality fireworks it seems, if we could sell enough pop bottles to buy them. Dad would always come out and shut the fireworks deal down though. I guess it says something about me and my siblings that he most recently had to stop us a year ago.

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
RGINN said:
Since we worked in the fields a lot, we had a lot of dirt clod fights. We had BB gun fights too. I really like the fireworks fights we used to have, and 45 years ago we got a little better quality fireworks it seems, if we could sell enough pop bottles to buy them. Dad would always come out and shut the fireworks deal down though. I guess it says something about me and my siblings that he most recently had to stop us a year ago.

LOL!!! :icon_thumleft: :D

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Oh my...bb gun fights

BigDan said:
This escalated to where in the summer about six of us would go out in the woods with bottle rockets and homemade copper tube "rifles". That was fun until Murray brought his pocket rocket and m80's.

Yes, in the summertime around the 4th of July, we played army with ammo too :D We weren't as sophisticated to have tubes, only used empty cans and bottles. We would line them up on the curb and fire away across the street at each other. We also had clods of dirt and you would use a twig to drill a hole and stuff a firecracker into it, light it and toss it. Most times it would explode overhead, but the cloud of dirt and smoke did look cool ;D

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
About the time that we got BB guns we also learned where to procure illegal fireworks . The price of poker went up dramaticly in our weekend wars .
Exploding bottle rockets fired through a short length of water pipe were our bazookas .
Effective hand grenades were made from cored apples or sun dried clay balls with 2 inch firecrackers inserted in the center ........ Or calcium carbide and water in pint whiskey bottles : those were damn tricky to use .....
Arty was cherry bombs launched with sling shots .....
There were also serviceable tommahawks made from sicklebar mowing machine knife sections fastened to sticks with roofing nails .
A good 'throwin' rock was always a last resort in close combat .
A reunion is being held this June to honor those of us that survived those gradeschool days that began in 1956 .

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Butch you had better go dressed like a knight in armor......... ;D

One of my favorites was cattails, Pull em out of the mud like a spear with the big clump of mud on the end, And throw it like a javelin. That got ruined when my brother stuck one to the side of the neighbor's head and filled his ear with mud....... :crybaby2:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
poorhunter78 said:
Hey Butch you had better go dressed like a knight in armor......... ;D

One of my favorites was cattails, Pull em out of the mud like a spear with the big clump of mud on the end, And throw it like a javelin. That got ruined when my brother stuck one to the side of the neighbor's head and filled his ear with mud....... :crybaby2:
That's a classic example of why we refer to that period of life as 'Ur Azz Hurts' days ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread