Champ dAsile

Status
Not open for further replies.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Champ d'Asile. I wonder who these people really were? Where did they come from and what were they really hoping to establish? I also wonder how much advanced planning was involved, and what the cost and continued financial maintenance and financial support of this expedition might have been? And then, after all of this, why did they really just up an quit? Seems odd that so many high ranking and experienced military images would have so easily deserted something so important to, not only them, but to others as well?
Seems a little early yet seems too follow Jomini style. Leaving them headed to next tactic strategized. Land possession(s) for its value again not for soil but its location or contents. To hold /take the "field". Location?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Champ d'Asile. I wonder who these people really were? Where did they come from and what were they really hoping to establish? I also wonder how much advanced planning was involved, and what the cost and continued financial maintenance and financial support of this expedition might have been? And then, after all of this, why did they really just up an quit? Seems odd that so many high ranking and experienced military images would have so easily deserted something so important to, not only them, but to others as well?

These are just a few of the things I use to wonder.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Uh oh, use to means i,m lagging behind you as usual. Was going to follow les francais to orleans and where language and land holdings became established countrywide and all points of compass.:house: good thread,thanks for sharing.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Last post read on Bama grant gave a due date at end of parralelle 10 yr. Wait period. Was holding kept?. Orleans on Lower mississippi had alot to offer with a "culture"being all ready established. And,
Ocean access, plus a northern route to e.&w routes too,also well established. The french knew routes! Helps with tactics. Fur trade routes left little left to be used for effective travel outside trails the natives and spanish had made.(and some game trails.)
Wondering with an established network from taos to east coast why couldn,t about anything be smuggled in fur bales?

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"....and those of Bolivar to keep our promise and distribute the gold to the indicated places....."

There is a mountain of wealth and knowledge to be had in, and from, the above statement.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
HA! In the wilderness, PROBABLY be killed; nearing "civilization", PROBABLY be robbed...

There were some hairy legged old boys running some of them routes for years learning how to make do. Learning how to deal with those who would just as well kill them as rob them. Some were killed some robbed,some survived,even the war.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of tough skins moving about within the many daily dangers of those times, some even performed/established routine trade with the potentially hostile. Not too sure i would have wanted to sell/trade guns and ammo with them.......think I would have wanted to keep that advantage for myself. :laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've said this before, the Adam's Onis Treaty was perhaps the second most important treaty in establishing America, and also, perhaps, the most important in regards to keeping it.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Cause of a line bump to west of sabine for border? Or 1802 shipping restrictions did not change some how with Louisiana purchase? (Wierd), Or because it isolated Spains holdings. Maybe all.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
West Florida and the Mississippi River were the big issues. Think how the war of 1812 might have turned out if Britain had owned them at the time. This was always heavy on the minds of our leaders. This is why Jackson just wanted to take them with the cannon, he having little patience for diplomacy in the matter. It's actually quite shameful the manner in which we eventually acquired both of them, our means and tactics less then honorable, or even legal, but Spain's weakened state and image in the world permitted such tactics and allowed it to happen.

monroe35

Sep 7, 2012
Katy, Texas
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Why not throw the passengers of the keelboat "Synia"? William Richardson, Treasurer of Boston; Dr. Parmelely, Boston; Major Daniel Halliday, Com. for the internal regulation of Miss. Territory; ditto Stephen Donohoe, Walter Nash; Henry Burt Esq. Trader from NY;
Major Nelson, Pennsylvania; Capt. Thos. J. Beall, Harper's Ferry. They were bound for New Orleans in 1816. Fit? Money and Military. Monroe35

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And so, as one written account seems to claim, traders showed up in Texas to trade their goods for pieces of gold, in a place where there was no gold, and yet, apparently things got traded for gold. Wait a minute.....how can this be? Either there was gold there that the writer wasn't aware of, which is hard to believe given the account, or the writer was purposely trying to mislead readers. Or, it was simply a matter that the writer and some others didn't have gold, but others did. But obviously, gold had to be there. But it's late, and I am rambling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread