Chance of gold in this rock

GarryinFL

Greenie
Oct 7, 2011
FL
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
I have a White’s GMT metal detector I was using in a creek in north Georgia and found this rock on the bank of the creek. My MD registers this like a hot rock (I guess) according to the manual that came with the MD. I am new at this. My MD sounds off but does not display any bars on the display like it does when it detects iron. No grunt (iron) but no zip-zip (gold/aluminum) either. All the visible glitter in this rock is mica, mica is in abundance in this creek and in the dirt in this area. I broke the rock into pieces and this rock seems to have different kinds of rock layers. My question is – is this just a hot rock or do rocks like this sometimes have small gold flakes/flour that might line up enough for the MD to register but not have the zip-zip sound? ???

Attachments

• P4070034.JPG
    P4070034.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 317
Upvote 0

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this a meteorite? Is it very heavy?

jcCALIF

Jun 13, 2012
Yorba Linda
Detector(s) used
TDI PRO, VX3, Surfmaster PI PRO, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Light reflected from mica will "turn on/off"as you move the specimen about. Gold's color will remain constant. If you put some of your specimen in a gold pan, mica will float about, gold will "stick." An important question would be, has gold been found in the area that you were hunting? Gold can turn into a "hot rock" if it is in a matrix with something else (as is usually the case in nature). When I run my VX3 in the Mojave desert on a single frequency 22.5 khz (to mimic a gold machine) gold nuggets can sometimes look like "hot rocks." If only prospecting was just so plain and simple then everyone would be doing it! Right?

OP
OP
G

GarryinFL

Greenie
Oct 7, 2011
FL
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Is this a meteorite? Is it very heavy?​
No, this is not a meteorite. It has a lot of mica just like many of the other rocks in the creek so I'm certain it is native Georgia rock but this one sounds off. I guess I will devise a rock crushing device and smach up a chunk just to see if I can pan any gold out.

OP
OP
G

GarryinFL

Greenie
Oct 7, 2011
FL
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
An important question would be, has gold been found in the area that you were hunting?

Well there is an old mining ditch that runs to the creek. I'm haven't learned what was being mined here though. I have found on USGS site some gold mines that were on or near the same creek a long long time ago.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you asking and answering your own questions? This is getting confusing.

OP
OP
G

GarryinFL

Greenie
Oct 7, 2011
FL
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Rob,

Sorry if my replies are so confusing. I'm replying to the other two gentlemen's questions that were in their replys. If you look at each of their replies, you will find the two questions I answered.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GarryinFL said:
Rob,

Sorry if my replies are so confusing. I'm replying to the other two gentlemen's questions that were in their replys. If you look at each of their replies, you will find the two questions I answered.

I got ya now! If you click on their post and then reply it will quote their original post. I wasn't going back through and finding the lines you were replying to first! Thanks. :)

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it from GA? Mica(s) are silicates. Sand. It can be igneous, sedimentary, or metamorphic. A common form of mica is muscovite. An associate mineral of muscovite is quartz. It could have gold in it but I highly doubt it. Probably (based on this only pic ) an iron ore. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread