Change of Pace or "Boy Finds Joy in Ryedale"

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Change of Pace or "Boy Finds Joy in Ryedale"

Hey Fellow Forum Friends, I had purchased a Ryedale penny sorting machine from Ryedale Coin in Michigan and over the holidays I got a chance to put the machine thru its paces. I sorted over 57,000 pennies in about 6 hours of time spread over a couple of days. For those of you who are not familiar with this machine, it separates the zinc loaded pennies from the pre '82 mostly copper pennies. I now have a bucket of copper pre '82 pennies that is too heavy for this boy to lift by himself. With the current melt value of pennies(pre-'82s) right at 2 cents a piece, I expect to be a millionaire soon(yeah,right).
This has been a fun change of pace and my car loaded with 3 buck a gallon gas is getting a well-deserved rest from the silver half hunting I have done for the last 12 months. Cheers and Happy New Year to all, Jim Porter
Here is the link for the machine.http://ryedalecoin.com/index.html

Upvote 0

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Change of Pace or "Boy Finds Joy in Ryedale"

Darn Jim.....another great report on the Ryedale.

I have been trying to avoid this machine but you (plus others) are making it tough to look the other way.....ha! I guess I am just going to have to break down and order the darn thing. Thanks Jim!

So you like it ah????

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

coolpix9 said:
I sorted over 57,000 pennies in about 6 hours of time spread over a couple of days.

Well?????? How many coppers did you get? ;D

I have that machine too, and my overall average is 18% (I am in SoCA, some parts of this country get close to 30%)

Last time I checked my counter it was close to 250,000 sorted. I have 40,000 coppers all boxed and tucked away in odd corners of the house. (a half dollar box will nicely hold $25 in cents.)

OP
OP
coolpix9

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other

Dan, I just weighed the coppers and they came to just over 126 pounds of 95%ers. When I was younger I used to collect marshmallows. These little beauts are "Heavy Metal ". Jim

kestrelia

May 9, 2007

Hmmm, I'd love to have one too as it would speed up going through the pennies. How do you get rid of all of the waste coins? I have hard time getting rid of the boxes I'm going through right now. Once the new gadget fun wears off do you find you have less fun CRH'ing with the Ryedale?

Can you set the Ryedale to sort out any coins by weight? Dimes, etc.

Brian

Ryedale

Feb 3, 2007
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT

kestrelia said:
Hmmm, I'd love to have one too as it would speed up going through the pennies. How do you get rid of all of the waste coins? I have hard time getting rid of the boxes I'm going through right now. Once the new gadget fun wears off do you find you have less fun CRH'ing with the Ryedale?

Brian

Brian,
The best way to rid yourself of unwanted zinc, is to find credit unions, or banks with automatic counting service for members/customers. I have 3 that I use for unloading the zincs. This way there is no re-wrapping, you just bring them in, they count them, look at you funny, and out the door you go with FRN, or you can have them deposit your total in your account. Call around every bank in your area and find out who has this service.
I build the machines myself, and it's quite fun to sell them, but I still after 2 years now, love more than anything, feeding my personal machine with pennies. I get about 30% coppers here in SW Michigan. I sort between $100 and $250 face (average) per week. I have now hoarded over 1 ton of copper cents, from The US and Canada. They take up the space of 1 55 gallon drum. Face value of about $2900, metal value of about $6000.
I do not have the time to search through all my coppers, I figure there will be plenty of time later, for now just an alternative investment. Andy

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

kestrelia said:
No, it is basically a micro-mini metal detector. You insert a known copper cent, in a special holder, and it electronically compares every coin (up to 500 a minute) to that coin. If it matches the coppers gets ejected one way, if it does not match it gets kicked out another direction. I think it is at least 99% accurate.

It will also sort Canadian nickels as some are nickel and others are not. Ryedale is working on something right now to do silver dimes.

Ryedale

Feb 3, 2007
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT

cyberdan said:
kestrelia said:
No, it is basically a micro-mini metal detector. You insert a known copper cent, in a special holder, and it electronically compares every coin (up to 500 a minute) to that coin. If it matches the coppers gets ejected one way, if it does not match it gets kicked out another direction. I think it is at least 99% accurate.

It will also sort Canadian nickels as some are nickel and others are not. Ryedale is working on something right now to do silver dimes.

Oh yeah i forgot to respond to that last part of Kestrelia's post. I'm prototyping a dime sorter, basicly it will be sold as an option or retrofit for the machine, and it will perhaps make silver "concentrate". Meaning far less to hand sort, but if one already has access to dimes, (a bag is $1000 face so 10,000 dimes per bag) would be able to be concentrated in about 35 minutes. Then you would hand sort the concentrate for silver, I'm guessing the concentrate will be only 10 to 15 percent of what you started with. The machine has a harder time segregating clad and silver coins, over zinc and copper. Also speed is around 300 per min.

vegasmtl

Jan 11, 2006
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bullseye II

Rather than start a new topic, I am posting on this one,hoping to get a response from you penny sorters.

My understanding from the US Mint is that the ban on melting is still in place, and looks to be remaining that way. What are your plans for the coins? I have started to pull the copper from my area, but there is not many pennies on the island. The bank vault at one of the two branches here only had 5 boxes total, lol.

Are you still sorting?

Thanks, ;D
vegasmtl

OP
OP
coolpix9

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other

Here is what I am doing. I have sorted almost 200,000 pennies. I have buckets of pennies waiting to be sorted. I have had 7 successful ebay auctions with the 95% copper pennies. I am selling 45 pounds of sorted pennies at one time. I do not pull out the wheats or steels etc. I have found you can put 6600 pennies in one of the Post Office Flat rate boxes. With insurance and delivery confirmation, the cost is less than $12. One of my auction buyers has bought his own Ryedale so he can get the pennies at wholesale( a penny each). I realize there is a limited number of people who might buy 45 pounds of pennies, but one of the auctions turned up over 100 wheats. Good Luck, Mahalo,Aloha, Jim

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA

My Ryedale machine shipped last Wednesday and should arrive any day now...Can't wait!!! Thanks Andy...

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

vegasmtl said:
What are your plans for the coins? I have started to pull the copper from my area, but there is not many pennies on the island.
Right now I am just holding onto what I have (about 60,000) I hope the ban stays in place for at least a few more years. When it is OK to melt I will decide what I will do with them.

I know the Navy will ship your personal belongings back when your tour is up, but what will you do with your coins? If you find a lot of copper that will really weigh you down.

If I was in Okinawa I would concentrate on metal detecting and cave exploring. I hear there is still a lot of WWII souvenirs to be found :). Watch out for unexploded ordinance :o.

vegasmtl

Jan 11, 2006
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bullseye II

cyberdan said:
vegasmtl said:
What are your plans for the coins? I have started to pull the copper from my area, but there is not many pennies on the island.
Right now I am just holding onto what I have (about 60,000) I hope the ban stays in place for at least a few more years. When it is OK to melt I will decide what I will do with them.

I know the Navy will ship your personal belongings back when your tour is up, but what will you do with your coins? If you find a lot of copper that will really weigh you down.

If I was in Okinawa I would concentrate on metal detecting and cave exploring. I hear there is still a lot of WWII souvenirs to be found :). Watch out for unexploded ordinance :o.

Thanks for the reply cyberdan. I am doing a ton of detecting here, both land and dry sand at the beaches. I found some UXO a few weeks ago

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,136407

that was fun ;) There are so many sites I have listed for coin shooting that there is no way to get them all done before our 2 year tour is up. However, the biggest problem I have so far is the depth that the coins sink. I have been pulling modern clad at 6". We get sooo much rain here. Soon to get a water machine though, to pull that gold from the tourist beaches.
At this point, I figure I can only get about 2 boxes of copper from what is currently available on the island. After that I will be going through my dumps just to find the stuff put in circulation from new arrivals to the island. And frankly, that just isn't worth my time.

Jim, thanks for the note about ebay, I will check out the auctions. Those "unsearched" coin lots are pretty fun, just never thought about it with new lincolns! I have bought a few of those "unsearched" lots before silver went crazy, and they turned out to be a good value--now that silver went up!

Thanks for the replies folks!
vegamtl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread