Change Purse

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
Well, I was fortunate enough to find my very first change purse--and it wasn't empty; more good fortune!

I use a DFX so it rang up at 92-93 on one side and 88-90 on the other side. That wasn't typical of the nails I had been sweeping over in correlate mode 92-94 with 45 bouncing in and out. So with a shrug I dug it, thinking it was some weird bent nail. The DFX told me 4 inches, and I got down there with the DX-1 and it told me I hadn't dug deep enough. I went wider and deeper just in case it turned out to be something good; sure enough, it was!

I didn't know what I had except two very large pieces of silver! The other coins didn't get my attention yet.

You can see bits of the canvas purse remaining on and around the coins. That's the black, felt-like material that looks like dirt in the camera phone photos--it was pretty much disintegrated.
My immediate thought was pocket spill, but after pulling the two Morgans (1896O & 1881O), the V Nickel (1906), two Mercs (both 1917) and a couple of early wheats (that's all that were in the purse). The top of the purse was down below where the coins were.

Now this is my first BIG silver mind you, so I could hardly keep the camera still! Before this my largest silver was a quarter--I really don't think about finding halves or dollars, so it's not even on my radar. So when these two popped out I was shocked (very happily shocked)!

Thanks for looking and happy hunting to you all!

Attachments

• IMG00082.jpg
    IMG00082.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 407
  • 27Jun09FindsBeforeCleanupObv.jpg
    27Jun09FindsBeforeCleanupObv.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG00085.jpg
    IMG00085.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 400
  • 27Jun09FindsAfterCleanupObv.jpg
    27Jun09FindsAfterCleanupObv.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 416
  • 1881OMorganObv.jpg
    1881OMorganObv.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 424
  • DSC01849.jpg
    DSC01849.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 406
  • 1906VNickObv.jpg
    1906VNickObv.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 410
  • 1896OMorganObv.jpg
    1896OMorganObv.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG00081.jpg
    IMG00081.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 419
Upvote 0

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Awesome! :hello2: Many coin purses showing up lately, I hope it's my turn soon!
Two silver dollars... amazing find! :notworthy:

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent digs! It's been yrs since I found my change purse find (the one and only) but I keep my hopes high for finding another and especially when seeing post like this!

Thanks for sharing

HH

Lonewolfe

PA John

Nov 24, 2008
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xcalibur 2, Teknetics T2 (Coils: Stock, CORS 4x6,, 4” “biscuit”, Whites Dual Field Surf PI, Garrett AT Pro (Stock & 5x8 Coils), ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sweeeettt!!!

I bet the person who lost this was quite upset!
I bet the person who found it wasn't!!

Congratulations!

OP
OP
ggossage

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
Thanks everyone! When I bent down to dig it I was totally oblivious to what I might have--I truly thought I'd be pullin' another nail. 9 years of pulling nails finally paid off! My eyes sure opened wide when I saw the silver!

Every day since I've joined TNet I see where someone finds something unbelievably sweet--I can't wait until tomorrow to see what super find one of you discovers next!

Happy holidays wherever you are, and good luck!

gg

jsandin

Nov 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations. It sounds like you dig every nail. I haven't been able to bring myself to do it, but I'm going to start as of now.

Hey....what is that punched, broken, coin-like object?

Attachments

• What is that thing.JPG
    What is that thing.JPG
    8.5 KB · Views: 1,350
OP
OP
ggossage

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
I'm not 100% certain, but it appears to be a lead seal. From the side it looks like a wire can slip through two small holes. gg

Jaw Jah Danny

May 2, 2009
Thomasville, GA
Detector(s) used
MXT ,Tesoro Compadre ,Tesoro Tiger Shark, DFX
Very Very Nice ! Frame that purse frame !!!!!!!! An actual purse find with proof of purse !!!! :laughing9:

Nice coins too.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a KILLER find. I don't normally nominate for less monetarily valuable finds, but in terms of rarity, a purse with two silver dollars in it is top notch! Incredible. Thank you for all the great photos of your finds.

Regards,

Buckles

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH, banner for sure!!!! :notworthy: What a find!! :icon_pirat:

Have you thought about the person that might have lost this purse? Going with the contents of not only US coins, the Asian coins and pins and the starch token, leads me to wonder if maybe it could have been a little Asian lady that worked every day, doing laundry for folks. Maybe she lost it on her way home from a long days work...maybe she lost it going to the market....? Maybe it wasn't a lady at all...could have been a guy I suppose. One could sit and ponder the events that lead up to the loss of the purse for a while. Neat to think about nonetheless, isn't it.

Fantastic find, GG! 8)

Nana :wink:

Excavateur

Mar 21, 2009
MO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Great find!
That zinc Missouri Mill reminds me of one of my first detector finds when I was a kid in 1981 with a low technology detector.

Banner!

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Goose,

That's the kind of silver find we all dream about! Nice going! :thumbsup:

Jim

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
That is something else! Wow, congrats on the stellar find. We all dream of those finds. With the remnants of the purse as well. The WOW factor makes that a BANNER find all the way. Congrats again. jgas

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread