Changing the way I search nickels.

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, after some thought, Ive decided to dump all of my "pre 1960" nickels. They just arent something I find very collectible and from what Ive seen on here Im not the only one who has stopped hoarding them and decided to dump. Good news is this will increase my bankroll by 50$ or so dollars, and will speed up the nickel box searching. I just did my most recent box and got a 1943 D war nick, and a 1974 dime of all things.

Something else off topic, I went to my main pick up bank today and one of the women there said "I have 440$ in halves that someone turned in". I told her I would sample them to see if there was anything worth keeping. I took 100$ of it and turned out to be a skunk. So my question is, should I go through the other 340$? 440$ seems like a large amount to have all of a sudden, and I feel like Its someone elses dump since theyre all hand wrapped. Maybe they missed a 40% edge checking... hm. What would you guys do?

(And, the 1943 D war nick is the "key date" war nick am I right?)

Good luck to everyone else.

Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
If some turned them in and you were skunked on your sample, I'd say to focus your attention elsewhere - just another bunch you'd have to dump yourself.

As for the 1943-D nickel, here's a paste from Littleton Coin Co....

1943-D Jefferson Wartime Nickel
During World War II, nickel became a strategic metal, more valuable than silver. To make more nickel available for the war effort, the U.S. Treasury had the Jefferson nickel produced in a 35% silver composition from 1942 through 1945. These special coins became known as the Jefferson Wartime nickels. Of those, the 1943-D issue had the lowest mintage. Add this superb World War II memento to your collection today.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would check them....won't cost anything, and it could be Grandpa's collection some one cashed in after he passed.:dontknow:

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is like 10-20 nickels or so that are under 50 million. Those are the ones I keep.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Something else off topic, I went to my main pick up bank today and one of the women there said "I have 440$ in halves that someone turned in". I told her I would sample them to see if there was anything worth keeping. I took 100$ of it and turned out to be a skunk. So my question is, should I go through the other 340$? 440$ seems like a large amount to have all of a sudden, and I feel like Its someone elses dump since theyre all hand wrapped. Maybe they missed a 40% edge checking... hm. What would you guys do?...

My best score came from $730 in CWRs. 19 of those rolls were complete skunks. The first 5 I opened were skunks. Had I just bought a "sample", I might have missed out.

Its been said a million times on this forum, yet for some reason it will need to be said a million more. ALWAYS buy them all. That's the whole point. The gas money is already spent. Don't think...just buy.

I do not and never will understand not buying them all. You go out looking, desperately hoping to find halves to search...which are often hard to even find. You find several and...only buy part of them? Why? Most likely in a CRHing lifetime you'll get at most 1 shot at a truly big score. It would be such a shame to miss out because you were trying to avoid rejects to dump.

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same scenario happen to me yesterday - even the same amount, $440 in halves. I have made an effort to make sure the bank personnel think of me first when it comes to coins. When they told me about the $440 in halves they had, if I had poo-pooed it and just bought part of them, or acted less than thrilled, the next time maybe they would go to someone else instead of saving them for me. They turned out to be a skunk, but the tellers will continue to think of me first whenever they get a lot of coins, since I was enthusiastic, took them all and showed them genuine appreciation. And the $440 was back put into my account down the street within the same hour so nothing lost but a few minutes.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy them all- always

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Chillydog

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Close to 500$ crw has always skunked me but u never know

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Sampling?!? buy it all or none, as others have said.

That would be like getting a box of halves and after getting skunked on the 1st 10 rolls, dumping the rest without opening them.
With dimes, good boxes or bags of CWR (2-6 silver dimes) most rolls are skunk.

However, 80% of the silver halves I have found, have been loose/CWR <$100. But the other 20% aren't.

Last edited:

superneo123

Greenie
Jul 9, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen this in several hunts, 1 box of pennies I was finding nothing but zinc and the last row I found my oldest penny a 1892 indian.

Like everyone before me said buy it all.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Wouldn't you be really pisxxxed off if I was the guy right behind you and bought the rest of them and posted some GREAT finds, only because the guy in front of me bought only a few rolls. Buy them ALL next time.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Rule of thumb.
Never sample.
Either take them all or nothing.
Nothing good comes from sampling. If you hit something and go back it draws even more attention when your trying to keep a low profile. That's how you get noisey tellers who start hunting themselves bc they are wondering what he you found that made you want more.
Secondly it's meaningless what the first $100 is. What if 400 are someones dumps but the other forty are the old man's Franklin's his wife just cashed in.
Lastly you may hit something nice, go back the next day and they could have been sold to another hunter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread