Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
If you prefer a different coin type then I see the logic. Otherwise the friction loses on the transaction means you're giving away AG. I prefer found silver. Good luck.

OP
OP
Novapax

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I understand your thoughts on this. I agree. You lose some in the exchange. Just getting some feedback. Looking for something down the road. As for now...love my dimes and halves.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I keep everything that it not the common silver (war nickels, Roosies, and junk Kennedys - keeping only low mintage coins or errors) and the common stuff I trade off for other stuff I want. Right now I'm working on a classic silver commemorative coin type album, so I'm using what I find to offset the cost of the other coins.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Boris has the right idea. If you're keeping silver to sell, sell it once when the price suits you. If there's something else you want to collect, sell the silver and buy what you want. However, don't sell silver to buy other investment silver - you lose money three times that way.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Good idea Boris.

Boris has the right idea. If you're keeping silver to sell, sell it once when the price suits you. If there's something else you want to collect, sell the silver and buy what you want. However, don't sell silver to buy other investment silver - you lose money three times that way.

I'm really more into expanding the variety of my collection and I'd rather get cool, older, lower mintage coins and work towards a set than just keep stacking junk silver that is boring to look at. I do like collecting it and having it there, but right now I'd rather use it to offset the cost of some of new (to me) coins. So far, using junk and stuff that I had as extras, I've been able to save money (note: I said save on; the silver I got rid of didn't pay for any of the coins, it just slashed some money off the purchase) on a 1920 Pilgrim half, a 1925 Lexington-Concord half, a 1926 Sesquicentennial half, and a 1946 Iowa half (the Pilgrim and the Iowa are very nice MS coins, the other 2 are very nice at least AU-58, sharp coins as well, just not a blast white like the other two).

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do whatever your heart tells you is right. If you want a monster box of ASEs, or something else, use your CRH finds to offset the cost of that. If you just want as much silver as possible for as cheaply as possible, just stack the junk you find.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm hoping to trade/sell some of my 40/90% coins for silver Eagles. You have to think about the long run, which one will hold or gain value over time? 1.5$ in 90% silver coins or a ASE? Oh and ASEs, 99.9% of the time won't get turned into banks by a ignorant family member, once we hit 6ft under...

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
You have to think about the long run, which one will hold or gain value over time? 1.5$ in 90% silver coins or a ASE?

When Ag was $35 (on the way down) I started tracking how much Provident Metals was paying for 40%, 90%, and ASE's, and how much they were selling them for. After awhile I started tracking war nickels and gold coins too.

What I found was that it didn't really matter what you had. When silver rose, so did everything else in proportion. War nickels hold the least value, as do 40%'s. But ASE vs 90%? Virtually no difference other than the premium. If you can sell 40's and 90's for spot, and purchase ASE's with little to no premium, that's great. However when it comes time to sell your ASE's remember that when the Ag price rises, so does the premium.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When Ag was $35 (on the way down) I started tracking how much Provident Metals was paying for 40%, 90%, and ASE's, and how much they were selling them for. After awhile I started tracking war nickels and gold coins too.

What I found was that it didn't really matter what you had. When silver rose, so did everything else in proportion. War nickels hold the least value, as do 40%'s. But ASE vs 90%? Virtually no difference other than the premium. If you can sell 40's and 90's for spot, and purchase ASE's with little to no premium, that's great. However when it comes time to sell your ASE's remember that when the Ag price rises, so does the premium.

But a BU 2015 ase, will have a higher premium than any common circulated 90% silver coin, 10-15 years from now. Junk silver is exactly what it is, just silver value with a small premium that wil grow very little over a period of 10-15 years.

I believe it is worth the trade p, if you're in it for the long run.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm with Mastermind and FormerTeller. I wouldn't trade in my 90%, but I'd do it with just 40% due to the fluctuation of the low premium and less desirability. Recently I traded a bunch of 40% directly to another collector for a 10oz .999 bar. As long as you can come to an agreement when trading that makes both parties happy, you both win. As Mastermind said, do whatever your heart tells you is right.

To me, my CRH silver finds are basically found money anyway, so I would be willing to sacrifice some of my gains to get something I really wanted. I don't know that I would trade bullion for bullion though.

Last edited:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others have said, do what makes you happy-- as long as you don't take much of a hit on selling and don't pay too much of a premium, i dont see how you can go wrong, as long as you are happy. You earned the silver from thr hobby anyway, so our cost per ounce is minimalized.

OP
OP
Novapax

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
All very good info. Keeping all the 90% stuff. Just thinking on moving the 40s to get some nice bullion. Save space in the safe.

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My feeling is keep the 90% and trade some 40% when the mood suits.

Why? Storage

OP
OP
Novapax

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah. 40s in mass can take up space. LoL.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread