charging ground for halo effect

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
jw1226 said:
I read some where that there is a way to charge to ground to get a better halo effect for deeper coins,has any one ever heard of this ,if so how would you go about doing that,would it be DC current with rods?

Dateline Nimrod, AR - A local man was killed yesterday when he accidentally electrocuted himself while trying to recover "older coins," near Nimrod. A woman identified as the man's wife of 27-years, told investigators she had pleaded with her husband to buy a pulse induction metal detector, but that he had become, "obsessed" with planting metal poles in the ground and hooking them up to car batteries. Apparently, feeling he needed more current, the man rented a power generator and was killed connecting it to the metal rods.. :thumbsup:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
jw1226, yes, various attempts have been made to do this, including a marketed device, which you either hooked up to your car battery, or lugged a car battery into the field with you. I tried one, in a moist turfed park section where I suspected deeper coins were. A park where we'd pulled barbers and such, down to as deeep as we could go. Coins had been stratified by age, in such a way, that we figured there were older coins yet (d/t the park was back to the age where seateds should also be there). Hooking up the thing, following all the instructions, etc... netted only the following results for me: Seemed to make teeensy little things hotter. Like those little pencil eraser top things now sounded like coins more-so, etc....

My conclusion was it wasn't worth it. If you're really all that hot & bothered to get more depth, you can simply go all-metal mode (assuming you have a true-all-metal mode machine, w/o ratchet auto-tune cr*p), and can get a foot deep on coins. Or heck, use a beach pulse or nugget machine, and you can get up to 1.5 ft. deep on coins :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread