Charlotte North Carolina

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've often thought about the creek @ Hornets Nest when I've been there throwing disks - have you ever checked it? It isn't too far from the Capps Hill Mine so it may be worth a shot.

P&R has rules about not removing anything & patrols the park real well b/c it was heavy with perverts a few years back, so I've held off on jumping into the creek near the road as I don't want to test the rules on panning.

Across

Greenie
Mar 28, 2012
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
BH Discovery 3300 - We all started somewhere!
Minelab Excalibur II 800
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to panning but not to hunting. I recently moved to the Salisbury area and would love to meet for some trips.

keemao

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys finding anything? In Raleigh and would like to do some panning when the weather is good.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tom Massie went to Charlotte on his show and found good gold at a construction site near the city center...start sampling right where you are :)

Last edited:

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Y'all are welcome to our GPAA Group meeting. We meet in Kannapolis, NC (exit 60 off of I-85) every 2nd Wednesday of the month. Home Page

(Don't let the name Matthews, NC GPAA name fool you. We outgree our Matthews meeting place.)

Our next meeting is FEB 13th. Our next outing will Feb 24th. Come and play in our creek!

We have a bunch of good people. Wealth of knowledge at findin' gold in and around NC/SC.

You can go here to see our outing for 2013.

Outings & Events

Last edited:

blaker12

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2013
Anything in Macon county NC? Besides these? I want the gold stuff. These were from the creek in my backyard. Otto area...

ForumRunner_20130125_233708.png

blaker12

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2013
Thanks... clueless. Just moved to the area, single, lots of free time and have the "gold and shiny thing" fever...

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Knowing where to look is as important as knowing how to look. (maybe even more!)

We carry several maps:

1) Mineral Resource Potential for Gold in the CHARLOTTE 1x2 degree Quadrangle, NC/SC

Originally produced by the U.S. Geological Survey, will no longer be printed by
the USGS.
The mineral resources of the Charlotte 1x2 degree quadrangle,
North Carolina and South Carolina, were assessed between 1978 and 1982 under the
Conterminous United States Mineral Assessment Program. The mineral-resource
assessments were made on the basis of geologic and geophysical investigations,
the presence of existing or abandoned mines, mapped mineral occurrences, and
where appropriate, on heavy-mineral occurrences seen in pan concentrates or
detected by geochemical analysis of pan concentrates.

nc-maps_2246_13192266.jpg

Last edited:

blaker12

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2013
Thx. Niner... panned a little in my area and encountered a lot of "black sand" but not even a flake. Been reading up as much as I can... I travel to south Carolina almost daily and cross the Chatooga. Might check that out in summer. Need to get my hands on a hand pump to get down behind those boulders.

Wild Boar

Greenie
Feb 6, 2013
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to panning but not to hunting. I recently moved to the Salisbury area and would love to meet for some trips.

I just moved to Salisbury, too. I'm going camping in 2 weeks with a few friends in the Uwharrie, and going to try some panning out there. Had one great campsite a couple years ago that is 3 hours hiking in. Would love to try it out in that creek.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread