Charmed then Crossed

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Charmed then Crossed

Hello again fellow treasure hunters and welcome to another adventure of “Have you lost your mind” starring, Me, as your host. In today’s episode we find, me, again, flexing his skills as a metal detectorist/adventurist in the old city of Paris. Paris Kentucky that is, in one of it’s parks that has a multitude of baseball fields. The diamonds were deserted today, save for yours’ truly, probably because it was a Friday afternoon and everyone was at work or in school. And, possibly, because it was a bit chilly out to be playing baseball today as the afternoon high temperature only got up to thirty eight degrees, Celsius. However, with the sun being hidden by passing sporadic cloud cover and a fairly constant breeze blowing all day, it seemed a bit colder than 38 degrees. But hey! I’m a Metal Detectorist! So my sanity is a forgone conlusion.. or perhaps my lack of sanity anyway. Yesterday, my first of three days off, was spent moving computers and untangling electronic spaghetti to that end. My wife had to have her computer moved to her new office, so…. And driving to the next state for a doctor’s appointment pretty much took up the whole day. Today, however, I found myself with little or no responsibilities or demands of my time, so I grabbed my machine and bundled up for a chilly day of detecting in the nearby town of Paris Kentucky.
I’ve been to Paris, Kentucky, many times to hunt since I began metal detecting a little over three years ago, but today was the first time I got around to this particular park. I didn’t know if I would find much but I was going to enjoy the hunt , I just had that “feeling”. Even if I was getting a late start on the day. I’d slept in this morning, believe it or not. I didn’t even roll out of bed till 8:30 or so, a quiet solitary breakfast of cold cereal while reading the morning paper, an hour or so at the computer tending to emails and messages and pulling up Google Earth to have a “look around” so to speak, before deciding on where I was going to try to detect today. Settling on this particular park in this particular town, I eventually arrived here (there) a little while before noon. And it was still cold, a finger numbing 32 degrees when I began detecting. But that’s ok, I warmed up rather nicely and quickly I might add, finding targets nearly as soon as I turned on my machine.
First find? Well of course, a pull tab. I found lots of them today, along with a few other odds and ends pieces of scrap metal like grommets, and nuts and bolts.

SmileyTabs.JPG

Looks kind of like I feel sometimes after digging up tab after tab after tab. <grin> But back to the hunt. The second target was a penny. A memorial cent that was nearly holed through with rot. Those freakin’ Zinc pennies are a shame. *sigh* Anyway, I found a bunch of pennies today, some that looked as if they just came out of the mint that day, and some, like the first penny, that looked as if they were about to dissolve before my very eyes. It was the third target that pretty much set the mood for my hunt today I think. At first I thought it was a quarter, because that’s what it had registered as on my detector. Then as I unearthed it, I thought it was a token, which it is, but this one was Lucky! No, seriously! That’s what it is! It says so right on the one side.. see for yourself..

Charm - Comp.jpg

… and see! It’s got a horseshoe on the back of the coin. It’s Lucky! <grin> And that’s what I was the rest of the afternoon. I cleaned that park up, well at least around the two baseball diamonds on one end of the park anyway. Coin after coin after coin, shallow, surface and even digging them up, I kept hearing that musical “clink” as another coin joins the party in my finds bag. All of the coins found today were fairly recent, nothing really very old though I did get excited a bit when I dug up one quarter. It was pretty shiny to have been buried down three inches or so in the sandy soil around the ball field. Could it be silver? *sigh* Alas, it was not to be, so very close though.. dated 1965. Oh well, I’ll get over it. It was just about the time I was rubbing the dirt off of that 1965 quarter when I was accosted by a rather friendly dog. You might say I got a tongue lashing, since I was pretty much on his level being down on all fours digging up a coin. A lady who lives nearby to the park was out walking her dog and he had to come over and investigate this strange man crawling around on the ground. Just a little startling when the first I saw of him was out of the corner of my eye just before my face got bathed by canine cordiality. His owner, the lady, apologized profusely explaining that he had never met a stranger, everybody is a friend. I assured her that I didn’t mind at all, just kind of caught me by surprise for a moment. I petted the dog and chatted with the lady for a bit before they continued on on their walk. I got back to the business at hand and was soon lost in my own little world once more. Coin, coin, pull tab, coin, pull tab, spoon, coin, pull…? Spoon?... Yeah.. a spoon.

Spoon.JPG

Go figure. I guess some kid brought it to the park to use as a shovel or something to dig with. Though they didn’t dig a hole for the golf ball. Yeah, I found another one. Wonder who’s trunk this one will end up in? Hmmmm. Anyway, speaking of digging and trunks, it wasn’t long after finding the spoon that I hit a patch of sandy soil that I thought was going to be growing quarters. I was getting target signals left and right, covering about a three and a half foot circle. First target to be unearthed was a tireless deer john. Er, uh, I mean, a toy truck with a John Deer decal, and no tires on it’s wheels. Then I pulled up a rear clip off of another toy car, a camarro perhaps? Then it really was a quarter, then a couple of dimes and yet another toy car.

Cars.JPG

While probing around trying to pinpoint the last target (the car) I unearthed this freaky little critter. I’m not sure what the devil it’s supposed to be, maybe a cross between a caterpillar and a porcupine, and an alien?

Critter.JPG

Not far from the “critter”, I discovered this rather wooden fellow all dressed to the nines in his top hat, tails and spats.

Buttler - comp.jpg

I’m thinking my spoon wielding undertaker must have been fairly young. I guess the chap in the suit must have come from a puzzle or something like that? <shrug> Boy! The things you find while detecting! Stranger and stranger. Several targets later I unearthed this WhatZit.. I’m thinking car part, from an OLD car perhaps, back when metal was the material of choice even in trim and accessories. Possibly a trim molding for the door lock stem? It’s chromed on the outside surface.

WhatZit1 - Comp.jpg

More pulls, but there was one Zipper Pull that just gave me a warm and toasty feeling, of envy, all over and under. I’ve found several of this brands pulls now, they must have really cheap connecting links or something, I mean how good can the garment be if you can’t keep the dang zipper pull attached to it?

ZipperPull.JPG

Another oddity, even though welcomed all the same, was this funny looking coin. Again, I thought it was a quarter at first, found a bunch of quarters today after all, but after digging it up discovered otherwise.

Euroface - Comp.jpg

Another foreign coin for my growing collection I guess. Along with this one Memorial Cent that has been flattened or stretched a bit out of shape.
By this time the shadows around the ball field were starting to get long and I was getting disturbing signals from my person, south of my ears. There was a grumbling indignant growl emanating from my somewhat neglected and hollow stomach. But what’s worse and far more pressing was the rather full or overfull sensations being sent out by my bladder. I don’t know what it is about cold weather, but the bladder just seems to go into overdrive when it’s cold out. By now I was shivering from more than just the thrill of detecting and digging up target after target, if you know what I mean. Each time I bent over or kneeled down to make another discovery recovery I ran the risk of springing a rather embarrassing leak. So, despite the fun I was having detecting I knew it was about time to call it a day and head to the house.. or nearest outhouse at the very least. (outhouse, outdoor “plumbing” facilities.. aka port-a-let, port-a-potty..) Wouldn’t you know it, this park didn’t have any, at least in sight anyway. I wasn’t so far gone as to forgo modesty and find a tree or christen the corner of a building or anything so I detected my way back to my truck. On my way however, I got another nice clear “quarter” signal near a wooden traffic barricade (post) separating the parking area from the park. Well the quarter turned out to be a bit of a false indicator. Oh there was a target, but the signal got crossed.. it was a small ring with a cross on it. Iron Cross? Templar Cross? Anyone?

Ring1 - Comp.jpg

…. Oh yeah.. and the ring is DEFINITELY SILVER! <smile>

Ring2 - Comp.jpg

All I needed for the day was to find a star.. then it could have been a very “Lucky” “Star” “Crossed” kind of day indeed! But I’ll settle for being lucky and crossed. A little Silver, a LOT of clad.. what’s not to like? Check out this pile of clad.

Clad.JPG

Not bad at all. Especially seeing as I only detected for about three hours. Oh sure, I’m not going to get rich doing this, at least not rich as in lots of money, but I do have riches in the form of enjoyment and memories. Oh, and a little gas and battery money to boot. <grin> I hope you all get to get out and have a little fun this weekend.. and Here’s wishing you some of the luck I found today myself in your own endeavors. As always…

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Upvote 0
Dec 27, 2005
Bay Area Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very nice finds, glad you got out and thanks for sharing with us. wishing you much continued success and I enjoy reading your posts. hh

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Haul !! nd a great post as usual Frodov, MaineRelic.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
MaineRelic said:
Nice Haul !! nd a great post as usual Frodov, MaineRelic.

I wish I could say that every hunt was as productive as this last one, but they aren't. I don't believe I've been skunked once in the last two years though. I always manage to find something, even if it's only a couple of clad coins, but days like yesterday certainly keep the enthusiasm running high. <smile>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
new foundland is not a country it is a canadian state or territory. nf= near fine or almost pure. the cross is a maltese cross but everyone uses them as adornments. still a very nice ring. congrats.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
wwwtimmcp said:
new foundland is not a country it is a canadian state or territory. nf= near fine or almost pure. the cross is a maltese cross but everyone uses them as adornments. still a very nice ring. congrats.

Thanks Tim. I didn't know what the "NF" stood for, but thanks all the same.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
diggertim said:
Very entertaining story :read2:....thanks for sharing :icon_thumright:

Tim

Always happy to entertain. Hope everyone reading these posts is having as much fun with this hobby as I am.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kyle and I are always laughing our butts off at your threads.

Kirk

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fine dressed man is "Sir Toppem Hat" from Thomas the Train.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Sniffy said:
The fine dressed man is "Sir Toppem Hat" from Thomas the Train.

Ok, cool. Thanks for the ID there Sniffy. You must have children around that age. I wouldn't have known what that character represented. I did figure it was a childs toy of some sort though, but I thought it might have been a piece out of an elaborate puzzle of some kind. Again. Thanks.

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Kirk PA said:
Kyle and I are always laughing our butts off at your threads.

Kirk

My threads? Something wrong with my clothes mannnn? <grin> Glad I could bring a smile to your face. Sorry about your butt though. I hear they do wonders with plastic surgery these days, maybe that can be fixed without too much fuss. <grin>

~HAPPY HUNTING~

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread