Chas. Wilhoit Token, any info?

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
I've looked & can't find anything regarding this token. At first I thought it may have been political, but noticed a "5" in the middle of the back, but don't see a cent sign, so who knows? It's aluminum, about the size of a quarter, and has some pitting.

The front shows an owl setting on a tree branch:
chaswilhoitfr.jpg

The back says Chas. on top, Willhoit on the bottom, with the 5 in the center.
ChasWilhoittknr-1.jpg

Anyone have any info at all on this or who Chas Wilhoit was?

Thanks
Smitty

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Here is a guess

Middletown Motor Car Co. Automobile Dealer Middletown, IN Wade Dickerson & Charles Wilhoit Middletown, IN 1/28/1920

OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
Thanks Gyspy! That's probably a right-on "guess" since I've hunted there a couple times, and is probably where this token was found.

Thanks again for the help!
Smitty

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Gypsy nailed the location, but I think this token was used quite a bit earlier and in a different business. Charles Clarence Wilhoit was born 9 Oct 1875 and married Louise Wisehart in 1896. In 1900 he was running a confectionery store and newsstand in Middletown where the token was most likely used. He went into farming and soon was involved in the automobile business which he followed through various jobs for the rest of his life.

Nice find! Pictorial trade tokens are generally more attractive to collectors.

John in ID

OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
John, thanks as well for the additional information. I used thre info Gypsy provised, and was able to find similar information she had. Using the name only (Chas Wilhoit) I wasn't able to find anything.

So specutation (on my part) leads me to believe this could have been one in the same Chas Wilhoit? Possible involved in more than one business venture?

Thanks again!
Smitty

OP
OP
I

IndianaSmith

Jul 21, 2007
idahotokens said:
I thought I indicated that...
John in ID

You certainly did, don't know why I missed it ::)....I'll blame it on old age & poor eyesight.....

Thanks again to you both
Smitty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread