Chased by a bandit in the woods, but got away with some silver anyway!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Mark & I went to a grove in the woods today and finally met up with Gibbsium (Patrick). Pat already had a find before we got there. :thumbsup:

About 45 minutes into the hunt, I found an '06 Barber dime. ;D About that time, DP Bob called to find out where we were and said he was on his way. :thumbsup:

Barber small.jpg

We went to a different grove and met Bob there. We also noticed a raccoon wandering around the area. We thought it might be sick, because we usually don't see them during the day. A little while later, Bob was digging a plug and I was watching the coon making a beeline for Bob. :o I yelled out to him a couple of times, and by the time he saw it, it was only five feet away from him and closing fast! Needless to say, Bob stood up quickly and put his coil between it and him.

Raccoon.jpg
(Disclaimer - not the actual raccoon.) ;D

She scurried off into the woods after Bob yelled at her, but she was a persistent rascal and kept circling the area, trying to do a flanking maneuver on us. All of a sudden, here she'd come, and you had to put your coil up fast! We had to dig while constantly scanning for the coon. Of course, during a lull in the activity, someone snuk up behind Bob while he was concentrating on a hole and tickled his arm. That was a jump and a half! ;D In the end, we didn't know if it was sick or if people had been feeding it and it was looking for handouts, but we were taking no chances. Before we left the area in retreat, I managed to get about five wheats and a '46 Rosie.

Rosie small.jpg

We went to another spot in a residential neighborhood and didn't find anything great there. A bunch of friendly neighbors came out to talk to us with their friendly dogs, so it was good to pet the pooches and tell the people about the hobby.

In the end, it was a two silver day - a success in my book. Better than that, I finally got to meet Pat after countless PM's back and forth and a phone call or two. I hope we can all get out together again soon!

HH all, and thanks for checking this out! :wink:

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Let me guess- Mark was the "Tickler" in this story. Right? I can imagine him doing that. I would have died laughing if I were there.

In reality, you've got to watch out for suspicious animals like that, some might be rabid. There was a skunk that was blocking my path from my gf's house to the car the other night. It just stood there on the steps, not at all in a hurry, just content with wasting my time.

And I chatted with my 157-year old neighbor this morning, and he informed me that an "anteater from Africa" was roaming the neighborhood, scaring his cat, and in genral, causing trouble. What a character.

Anyway, nice dimes! I especially like that Rosey, now if only I could find.......HA!

Joe

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Racoons and skunks are the two most rabid animals encountered in the wilds in the summertime. You probably should report it to the local game authorities so they can find it before someone is bitten. Monty

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more funny hunt.....That someone got a good laugh.... I think it might have been pay back for scaring him one day..If it wasn't then I have to come up with a good payback when he least expects it.... :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

I'm owe you for that heads up on that one... I am geeting some pepper spray now....

I love the raccoon photo....

Nice coinage too Neil....
Just a note to all.................
This is one reason for all us hunters to carry some pepper spray cause, that coon got some today.....but he still come back for more...

Thanks Neil..................... Twice................

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds :thumbsup:

The racoon may of had a litter nearby as most racoons give birth about this time of year.

If it was rabid I don't think you would of scared it away :D

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
What, nobody wanted a raccoon cap for a souvenir of today's hunt? ;D Sounds like you guys had a fun day! :thumbsup: And if you can't score silver it's always nice to have a fun day to remember. But you got both today Neil! WTG on that Barber!!! :headbang: And the Rosie just put icing on your cake. :thumbsup:

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gibbsium said:
Nice job on the Barber Neal, It was nice to finally meet you guys in person. I have to say the Pro coil makes for a great critter guard.
LOL

How true..... That critter just didn't give up....

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Wow! Nice story and equally nice barber and rosie! I thought the locals where I was were bad... yours bite!

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
??? Was looking through a Reminisce Magazine just now and saw this..... How appropriate for today's events

Attachments

• RC 001.jpg
    RC 001.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 296

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT COINS NEIL, WTg!!!!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL awe man that would of been classic to get that on video!!!! Great hunt and great finds!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureFiend said:
LOL awe man that would of been classic to get that on video!!!! Great hunt and great finds!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Which part the critter or me getting goosed?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Jump Bob! Lookout!
Nice digs fellas!
Coon populations get canine dysentery like wildfire this time of year, much more common than rabies and it makes them act strangely, depending on what stage they're in. Running helps!

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Neil...and I got some much needed laughs about the coon giving you guys fits.

I have a tattoo on my arm that says..."What goes around...comes around"

I believe Bob will find a way to "get even" with you fellers' for sneaking up on him :laughing9:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had a great hunt :thumbsup: (and I'm not talking raccoons :D)

I have to admit, it WAS hilarious watching that 'coon chase a herd of grown men around
that grove. . . there were a few cars that stopped for a double-take. . . and a good laugh.

(Hmmm. . . I wonder what Bob has up his sleeve)

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got 3 shotguns, a rifle, and a pistol - we can take'um!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread