CHEAP CACHE HUNTING TOOL

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Hey SS. Do you have a trick for low clearance crawl spaces? I have reason to believe there's cache on my land, and on a recent plumbing expedition under my house found a 2'x4' depression lined with lumber. Weird thing was, there were 2 mummified chickens laying in it. No way for the chickens to get under the house. Also no plumbing associated with this spot. Problem is that it's about a 40 foot crawl through an 18" space. A real face dragger. I don't really want to drag my new detector in there without some more assurance of success. What do you suggest? Thanks in advance~Andy :-\

OP
OP
S

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
There are two methods to deal with that site. #1 - If there are no metal pipes above the box then you could move the furniture out of the way and use a borrowed or rented two box detector from the floor above. Then if you get a signal it would be worth making the crawl. #2 - use a pendulum or an L-rod made from a coat hanger.
Unless the former occupant was into voodoo or santeria sacrifices the only possible reason to save dead chickens would be if the guy was into cock fighting and made a bunch of money off them. Only roosters are used for fighting though. Good Luck. ss

gsmeiers

Nov 25, 2004
Appleton, WI
Colorado2 said:
Hey SS.? Do you have a trick for low clearance crawl spaces?? I have reason to believe there's cache on my land, and on a recent plumbing expedition under my house found a 2'x4' depression lined with lumber.? Weird thing was, there were 2 mummified chickens laying in it.? No way for the chickens to get under the house.? Also no plumbing associated with this spot.? Problem is that it's about a 40 foot crawl through an 18" space.? A real face dragger.? I don't really want to drag my new detector in there without some more assurance of success. What do you suggest?? Thanks in advance~Andy :-\

I'd be dragging my face in there in no time! Sounds exciting!

I have a Garrett detector and the coil attaches to the receiver using a fairly standard connector that I think could be found at a local electronics store.... I think it would be easy to make an extenstion cable for my coil.... Providing the extra length doesn't throw off any calibration... But it'd be easy to make an extenstion so you could leave the electronics out of the way.

Garrett

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread