Cheats in the coin rolls

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
I'm fairly new to CRHing. It seems every box has a few cheater coins in the rolls. Yesterday, I found an Irish pence and a Canadian coin in a roll of halves. Luckily, the Canadian was a $2.00 coin. Go figure.
Last week I kept finding pennies mixed in with the rolls of nickels. They cheater must have run out of pennies, because dimes started turning up in the nickels. So far I have not lost money but actually made money because of cheats in the rolls.
How common is it to find wrong coins in rolls? Is anyone else coming out ahead like me?

Upvote 0

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it quite common in hand rolls, that is why I try to get the sealed boxes when possible. I estimate I am behind on the amount.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
You will find all sorts of weird stuff. I kinda enjoy it and it doesn't really cost that much. I have found a few watch batteries. One time I got $13.50 in halves in a $10 roll and another time I was shorted by half a roll in a sealed box. It all evens out in the end. You do have to be careful when they hand you a large bag of halves as the count can often be off. The hard part is when you see silver in the bag and don't want to bring attention to them but you should count them out. I almost learned the hard way on that...

I was once handed a bag that had $230 written on it and was going to be charged $230 but I thought it looked a little light...so I counted it out on the counter and there was only $130. The vault teller at first insisted it was $230 so I took the initiative to count the coins even though she was getting more angry by the minute...saying "that is $230!"...then when I proved her wrong, oh boy, she tried to hide it and said she was sorry but she was still angry and finally said "that's why I never get these things for people!" and walked out back leaving the coins with another teller to sell to me. I've never gotten another coin out of that bank but at least I didn't get shorted that day and scored a handful of silver.

Maine_Jim

beancounter

Greenie
Jul 18, 2006
zephyrhills, fl
Detector(s) used
mpx digital, ace 250
I work at a major theme park in Florida in the coin room, we have a machine that rolls coin but sometimes if the machine is a little dirty or not set just right we often have dimes in the pennies. It is really exciting to work in this room because, even though I feel bad, but it seems that kid would have stolen a coin collection or they are foreigners and don't know what an old U.S. coin is, we sometimes get hundreds of dollars at a time of silver dollars, indian head nickels...merc dimes etc. We are allowed to switch out face value for these coins! We often get silver certificate dollars and red seal fives. But unfortuantely we also get a lot of counterfeit bills....We have to call the FBI to come get them and fill out all kinds of paperwork. even that is exciting. Gotta love it.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, yours probably wasn't a cheater, but someone using a walmart coin sorter, a mixed blessing. They can often short rolls and but wrong coins in the tubes (especially bites when you're doing quarters), but, it makes the person less likely to catch old coins in change- doesn't have to look at it from hand to bank. The cheaters are the ones that short the roll just enough so as not to notice. Yesterday got shorted 10 dimes in two rolls from the same person, but got 8 extra in the others, so more or less it does even out. As for foreign coins, it may suck to get them in halves, but in the other denominations, it is neat to mix it up. I keep track of them and I have got coins from 27 countries. Plus, even though the exchange rate may not make it worth it, they can easily be sold on ebay for above what you paid.

HH
-GC

OP
OP
davew0710

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
wayne1956 said:
I find it quite common in hand rolls, that is why I try to get the sealed boxes when possible. I estimate I am behind on the amount.

The Irish pence and the Canadian $2.00 were both in the same roll. These came out of a box which surprised me.

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found quite a few foreign coins in both the fed rolls and hand rolls. I've also found guitar picks, pipe screens and other garbage. This week alone I've found 5 cent coins from Bermuda and Netherlands, a 50 pence coin from Great Britain and a 1/2 Balboa (.16 oz of silver) from Panama. Its almost impossible to go through a box of pennies, dimes or nickels without finding a few Canadian coins. As far as being shorted on rolls and bags I've suffered from both. Not bad mind you but I've picked up boxes from the fed that were short one or two coins. I don't mind as long as I'm pulling silver! Also I've found lately that the bagged halves I'm getting usually have one or two dollar coins in them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions