DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the shape of the arrowhead is not what is odd but the material that's it's made of is odd looking if you look real close at it. I found these while I was metal detecting. Oh, I had my best day ever with the detector. I found 3 gold rings right next to each other. The best one is a 1/4 carat engagement ring. The jewler said it would retail for $1200.00.

IMG_7299.JPG

IMG_7299.JPG

IMG_7290.JPG

Here's the close-ups of the arrowhead. What do you all think about that?

IMG_7291.JPG

IMG_7293.JPG

IMG_7295.JPG

Thanks for looking.

DANGLANGLEY

Attachments

• IMG_7304.JPG
    IMG_7304.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 472
Upvote 0

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
I have one somewhere made of that same material. Until now it was the only one I had ever seen. I am pretty sure it is some type of
quartzite. I will look for mine this weekend and post a pic. Very unique material. What area did it come from?
Congrats on the ring. That could be a new detector.
Randy

A

Atlantis0077

Afternoon,

We have stuff here that looks similar....I agree with RPG...some type of quartzite....or here we would call its silicified sandstone of one degree or another. Pretty stuff, though the points made from it are usually kind of crude and thick as it doesnt chip well.

Happy hunting,

Atlantis

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
This material is fascinating...I have looked at quartzite under magnification and it does resemble these granules but these seem to have a dot or opening on each one, could this be some kind of fossilized material? Kind of reminds me of slabbed walrus ivory. Does anyone know for sure what the make up of this material is? Curious :icon_study:

OP
OP
DANGLANGLEY

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RPG said:
Very unique material. What area did it come from?
Randy

I found it in Roane County, Tennessee. It's in East Tennessee.

DANGLANGLEY

OP
OP
DANGLANGLEY

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Atlantis0077 said:
Pretty stuff, though the points made from it are usually kind of crude and thick as it doesnt chip well.
Atlantis

It sure is crudely made. It has layers in it and looks like it could fall apart at any time.

DANGLANGLEY

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
maybe it was a quartzite that was fire heated, or cooked in some game, and almost exploded? nice piece of stone, never seen anything like it.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
:icon_study: Nearest match to this stuff is petrified Palm Wood, the color is right and has the circles with the dots. Look under Wikipedia Palmoxylon. There are over 200 different species of this wood with varying degrees of the circles. Need to get a piece of this stuff.

OP
OP
DANGLANGLEY

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
The "oolitic" camp is correct. The southwestern portion of Wyoming has this material in abundance, but there is likely other locales where it is in existence.

Materials also travel through natural geologic processes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oolite

Thanks for the link. Interesting stuff there. This has to be the oddest arrowhead I've ever found.

DANGLANGLEY

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
:icon_study:That`s what I like about this forum, there is always someone to learn from. I now know what oolitic chert is and I have a better idea about the differences between it and petrified palm wood. Interesting thread.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread