TreasureHunters

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well they are great quality and I didn't think saying I got them in a goodwill bin would exactly entice any buyers, I tried to edit it but it wont let me now, I will be more careful on my future listings.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I usually don't offer where I found my items, unless it has some relevance to the item and it's provenance. I recently sold a bomber jacket from the vietnam era on ebay and the buyer had messaged me throughout the sale. I bought it at goodwill. After he received it, he asked me where I got it. I told him I got it at a thrift store. He messaged me back and was just checking to see how honest I was, because he had found a sales tag inside the collar where I missed it, from goodwill. So he knew where I got it and what it cost me. I was honest with him, and he said he added me to his favorite sellers list because of it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TreasureHunters

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually don't offer where I found my items, unless it has some relevance to the item and it's provenance. I recently sold a bomber jacket from the vietnam era on ebay and the buyer had messaged me throughout the sale. I bought it at goodwill. After he received it, he asked me where I got it. I told him I got it at a thrift store. He messaged me back and was just checking to see how honest I was, because he had found a sales tag inside the collar where I missed it, from the goodwill. So he knew where I got it and what it cost me. I was honest with him, and he said he added me to his favorite sellers list because of it.

Good story, I shall take heed to the advice :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually don't offer where I found my items, unless it has some relevance to the item and it's provenance. I recently sold a bomber jacket from the vietnam era on ebay and the buyer had messaged me throughout the sale. I bought it at goodwill. After he received it, he asked me where I got it. I told him I got it at a thrift store. He messaged me back and was just checking to see how honest I was, because he had found a sales tag inside the collar where I missed it, from the goodwill. So he knew where I got it and what it cost me. I was honest with him, and he said he added me to his favorite sellers list because of it.

A touching and heart warming story, but just because he found a Tag doesn't mean anything as the jacket could have passed through 4 peoples hands between you and the store sale.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's quite true, but that's the story. I could embellish it and call it "selling" the story if you like.

Call it what you want, ebay is about making money, and there's a million and one people who say estate sale simply because it's a key word for searching. But I'm not one of them because I am a coin buyer as much as anything and tend to associate that word with lots that have been picked apart... but of course there is always times when they haven't been.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
It is about making money, I'd just rather make mine without lying. To me, that's what it is. A spade is a spade and sometimes people don't like me for calling it as such, but that's okay.

More to the topic, I didn't know to watch for pipes, so I learned something from this post. Thank you Treasurehunters!

OP
OP
TreasureHunters

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EDIT markings read: Jeantet Orsay 72 bis, 2 different styled Para National Washington DC, Selected Virgin Briar Made in London England, ones rubbed off, Carey Magic Inch pat.n #3267941 Grecian, Carey Magic Inch pat.n #3267941 Made in Italy, Fleur De Lis Meerschaum Lined - France 335, Country Club London Made -made in England,

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy and sell 25-30 bikes on craigslist every summer and all of my ads state that the bike belonged to "my sister", "brother", been "hanging in the garage at the family farm" or something along those lines. Those are little white lies that are harmless and keep people from trying to lowball me and it works... It wouldn't work out to great if I stated I bought the bike for $25 at a yard sale and now I want $175 for it.

As cheese stated... There's really no need to state how you acquired the item unless it's truly a selling point.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Selling points, lies, to me it doesn't matter, especially as a buyer. I've been a very steady buyer the last 12 years and can't remember on a single occasional asking or caring about how a seller acquired the item. All I need is pics and a price.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Well they are great quality and I didn't think saying I got them in a goodwill bin would exactly entice any buyers, I tried to edit it but it wont let me now, I will be more careful on my future listings.

No offense, friend, but I wouldn't call them "great quality".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread