image-4088555219.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 234
Upvote 0

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take the whole stack and throw them in the nearest dumpster!

tyler2277

Mar 3, 2014
Chicago suburbs
Primary Interest:
Other
One bank in a small town I went to had coin books, and mint rolls or cents and state quarters in a little display case. Not sure if it was for show, or if they where for sale.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do vaguely remember a while back about people buying American Silver Eagle (ASEs) from banks before, but y=they weren't for a dollar, and the bank was selling them for profit... do any of the old timers remember this? or am I going crazy? :icon_scratch:

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do vaguely remember a while back about people buying American Silver Eagle (ASEs) from banks before, but y=they weren't for a dollar, and the bank was selling them for profit... do any of the old timers remember this? or am I going crazy? :icon_scratch:

I have seen it, that bank I am thinking of also had American Gold Eagles on display to sell, and you are right Buff, they weren't cheap by any means, the bank was making a nice profit on them.

sjlund

Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my dump banks currently sells ASE's in their lobby in air-tites for $75.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
One of my dump banks currently sells ASE's in their lobby in air-tites for $75.

You should honestly report them to the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, it's illegal for any bank to sell US Currency at a higher value than it's face value. It is up to them as a bank to facilitate transactions. Some states (such as UTAH) legally recognizes silver/gold as a currency IF it is set at current rates. At a such a blatently outrageous rate, you could call the OCC--- The bank would be forced to put the rest up for sale at face value of the coin per us banking regulations.

OCC: Home Page

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The following parts of the text annoyed me as well:

"The true collector try's to combine the two."

Try tries.

"Very simply put, don't confuse your accumulating coins with collecting them. Because a true collector at any level has a specific goal in mind with the coins he or she is looking for in as high of a state of condition as possible."

Never mind that awkwardly structured ending, what elitist nonsense! They're trying to create a collector "upper class" in a transparant attempt to bolster high grade coin sales, while simultaneously putting down the rank and file. Try telling your child he or she is not a collector.

OP
OP
Local_coins

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The following parts of the text annoyed me as well:

"The true collector try's to combine the two."

Try tries.

"Very simply put, don't confuse your accumulating coins with collecting them. Because a true collector at any level has a specific goal in mind with the coins he or she is looking for in as high of a state of condition as possible."

Never mind that awkwardly structured ending, what elitist nonsense! They're trying to create a collector "upper class" in a transparant attempt to bolster high grade coin sales, while simultaneously putting down the rank and file. Try telling your child he or she is not a collector.

I thought the same thing when I read that.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Some banks still do this buff. I've seen a few. Bargains can be found if/when silver takes a big jump in price. Typically, these coins are overpriced, but at least the banks I've seen make no effort to change the price of the coins in relation to the fluctuating price of silver. Once the coins are priced, they remain that price until sold. I remember a few members on here getting good deals on ASEs and even silver rounds from banks when silver first spiked a few years ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions