check the reject bin!!!!!

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went to TD to cash in my $750 in halves and dimes and like always I checked the return bin just in case a couple coins didn't go through. Well today I ended up with two hands full of reject coins. I put them into my coin jar and took them into the car to look for silver, wheats or anything interesting. Well I found 5 copper pennies. A bicentennial quarter. But the best part was the dimes... walked away with a merc as well as 19 roosevelt silver dimes! Felt good almost doubling my silver collection within minutes :laughing7:

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! TD bank near me does not reject silver, though i have found 2 silver quarters in the reject tray about a year apart, both real worn.

Today in the reject tray was a British 1971 2c piece, a 1993 Korea 100 Won coin(not valueable), and a 2006 Chuck-E-Cheeses gaming token.
what year was the merc?
HH
Buff

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmm... well i put it in with my other silver coins... so its either a 35, 39, 41 or 42.

and believe it or not it may still reject them. Depending on the macine there should be like a pvc pipe cut in half which leads to the tray. Most coins don't reach it to the coin tray and they just accumulate in the pipe until someone who knows about it reaches all the way up there and grabs all the coins. Looks kinda suspicious sticking your arm halfway into the machine but hey, finding 20 silver dimes is sure worth looking a little crazy and desperate lol. :hello2:

kontrapunktus1750

Apr 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
No banks in my area (as far as I am aware) have self-service coin counters. Coinstar machines are nearly ubiquitous. I do a casual pass-by when entering or leaving a grocery store.

The only thing I ever had the misfortune of finding was a quarter-sized toilet token. Didn't notice until I got into the car.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, TD bank has the same set-up everywhere(for the most part), I ALWAYS stick my hand up into the reject tube, being the white PVC pipe cut in half.
The angle of the pipe leading to the reject tray is quite steep at the penny arcade I frequent at, but I have been to other banks where the pipe is nearly straight across with no angle for the coins to go down, forcing the coins not to ever get into the reject tray.

It's not suspicious if you just used the machine to check for coins still in the pipe :)

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol funny you mention looking after you dump coins... Other times I've gone into TD and walked straight to the coin machine. The teller asked me if I knew how to use the machine and I thought to myself... Yes very well... Haha. Then I checked the return tray and then when I found 11 cents I proceeded to ask the teller if they had coins. This was before I realized that TD is not the most convienent bank for us CRHers unlike what Regis says...

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stupid phone making posts before I finished typing... Anyway so ya I checked the tray, asked for coins, and walked out, without making any transactions :)

tham2005

Greenie
Apr 3, 2012
sioux falls sd
Primary Interest:
Other
I have yet to find any "treasure" in a reject bin...the only machines I know around here are coin star at the two local walmarts, I check them everytime I am there, but no luck...I cant wait for the day to find that "free" silver just laying there waiting for someone to claim it!

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my 1st silver coin in a reject tray the other day. A dirty but nice condition 1962 quarter along with a tiny copper Euro cent. I also got my 1st silver qtr from a box dated 1964 & I found a 1961 dime in a box. Also I got 3 CWRs of halves & 1 roll was all 40% Kennedys. This was my 1st solid silver roll found. Why would someone cash it in a Bank? Also found 10 silver halves in the last 4 boxes & I got a 1944P war nik in the last box. Anyway, I'm on a silver find roll. I hope it keeps up.

kontrapunktus1750

Apr 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
This was my 1st solid silver roll found. Why would someone cash it in a Bank?

Several reasons:

1. They don't know.
a. in terms of not having checked the contents first
b. in terms of not knowing anything about silver coins

2. They don't care. I was witness to this once while in line at a bank behind a pair of nonagenarian sisters. They teller suggested they take their coins to a shop and one of the sisters interrupted, saying that she didn't want to be bothered.

3. Someone died or received them as a gift--combine this with any of the above reasons.

4. The coins made their way to a bank because they were in the possession of someone to whom they didn't really belong.

5. People are scrounging around for money. Can combine with any of the above.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice! I've found 8 silver dimes and a silver quarter only. However, probably 1/5 of my 1600 coin coin collection came from rejects.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread