Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I ordered the 801

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let me know your reaction when you first check this thing out, lol.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a good looking digger. Might have to try and break the one I have so I can justify a replacement. :laughing7:

sky355

Jul 24, 2012
Littleton Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Fisher F22
Vibra tector 740
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got mine its razor sharp loving it.

sky355

Jul 24, 2012
Littleton Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Fisher F22
Vibra tector 740
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost hate to dig with it🤣

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got mine......beautiful. like above, hesitant to use it.
But I soon put it to the test.
Sharp....cuts dirt like butter.
Wish the handle was a little bulkier, but I can solve this. It's my fault, as I have arthritis and have to have some help.
love it. Would order again.
THANKS to the OP I got me a great digger. I have a follow up story to this later. No tone now.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a knife collector I will give it 2 thumbs up for sure!
Any steel made by Japanese wizards is usually a work of art!
Going to save this link and if I ever need a new digger this will be the one I buy.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To those who bought this digger: go ahead and use it. It will quickly lose the razor sharp edge, but for the life of me, I still can't fully dull it. And I'm sure just a few swipes with a diamond sharpener will bring it back to its original condition. After much use, mine still has a pretty decent edge. And it's never been sharpened.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The hori hori knife story:

My 12 yr old niece and I were on a real hunt, yesterday, in a city oark. Hot and knats in abundance.
We are both down close to the ground digging a quarter, which actually was a can.
A shirtless middle aged homeless man kind of appears out of nowhere. Talks too much, knows everything, and offers to sell me a 1945 penny for $10.00.
I tell him it's worth maybe 10 cents. He moves away, then turns back toward us. All of this is happening in about 2 min.
He has a rather large walking stick. As he slowly moves back toward us and gets in our space, I whip out my new hori hori knife. He goes " hey man, I'm gone".
I mean this idiot had to be impressed with my Lesche 32" shovel in my left hand, but the new shiney knife did a number on him. The whole time me or my niece never stood up. Still on our knees.

I honestly believe he was thinking of us as an easy mark, and beat me with his stick.
Hori hori 1, idiot 0

Last edited:
OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My 12 yr old niece and I were on a real hunt, yesterday, in a city oark. Hot and knats in abundance.
We are both down close to the ground digging a quarter, which actually was a can.
A shirtless middle aged homeless man kind of appears out of nowhere. Talks too much, knows everything, and offers to sell me a 1945 penny for $10.00.
I tell him it's worth maybe 10 cents. He moves away, then turns back toward us. All of this is happening in about 2 min.
He has a rather large walking stick. As he slowly moves back toward us and gets in our space, I whip out my new hori hori knife. He goes " hey man, I'm gone".
I mean this idiot had to be impressed with my Lesche 32" shovel in my left hand, but the new shiney knife did a number on him. The whole time me or my niece never stood up. Still on our knees.

I honestly believe he was thinking of us as an easy mark, and beat me with his stick.
Hori hori 1, idiot 0
Lol, I do believe you could engage in some serious hand-to-hand combat with this thing.

Imagine the embarrassment... "Yeah, I got my ass whipped by a garden trowel." :D

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah. Some garden tool.

sky355

Jul 24, 2012
Littleton Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Fisher F22
Vibra tector 740
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hori hori 1, idiot 0

Yeah Thats why I carry a colapsable baton with me like LE use. But I can see this replacing that easily. Problem is brandishing it may get you hooked up if its done in a threatening way where as the Baton may not. I am a member of US Law Shield so if I ever have to defend myself in a court Im covered with a million dollars of attorney fees as a member. Definitely a scary situation. Id also be hesitant having it out around a busy park just because it is intimidating.

OP
OP
laidback4sho

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Thats why I carry a colapsable baton with me like LE use. But I can see this replacing that easily. Problem is brandishing it may get you hooked up if its done in a threatening way where as the Baton may not. I am a member of US Law Shield so if I ever have to defend myself in a court Im covered with a million dollars of attorney fees as a member. Definitely a scary situation. Id also be hesitant having it out around a busy park just because it is intimidating.
That's why I won't frequent a park or playground except just after daybreak or just before dusk. Less chance of nosy people around.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been using my hori hori knife, the same make that the op posted, for over a month now. Probably 8 hunts. I love it. I now wear it instead of my Leasche knife. It just works.
Sharp as a razor blade and cuts thru dirt nicely. Sometimes I wear both knives, but the hori gets the most use. This knife is just plain worth the money, and its pretty too.

Bama Digger

Tenderfoot
May 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF that is true Japanese steel and through handle... GOOD LUCK on breaking / "snapping"....

IF that was American made of any other steel... I would agree.

You must not have much experience with higher end American blade steel. Japanese steel is great but American is just as good or better.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen diggers at the same price but with half the thickness/quality. Thanks for posting!

old_chase

Aug 21, 2017
Sumner, MI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting ... Thanks for posting.

As a diver I have experience all types and grades of various stainless steels in various "tools" IE: Dive knives in particular... and wil tell you this.

When i first saw it at a glance I almost thought it was a diver knife

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I make knives of many kinds of steel, , straight razors too, Hone them on Japanese Natural stones, Blah Blah, Steel no matter what kind Must have the right hardening and Tempering done to be most effective in its particular task, in the knife world there is a ton of Hype, don't fall for it, be practical, Unless you have too much Money?? Then Burn it by all means, Digging a small hole or scraping a crack in bedrock does not take the finest tool made, those kind of knives"Combat" or Tactical are for Life saving, chips are down tools. I won't take my "Wootz" blade out diving in salt water because I respect the abilities of that special steel and None of its abilities are good in a salt water environment.

FWest

Jun 27, 2017
Detector(s) used
EQ 600, ORX, TDI SL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I purchased one of these tools. A serious knife that can be used as a shovel. Makes short work of small to medium roots and feels very well made. Wipes clean although have to be careful of the serrated edge if not wearing gloves. The sheath seems rugged enough, has a opening at the tip of the blade to allow debris to fall out -nice feature.

I don't think it will completely replace my Raptor but will definitely has a place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread