• PB030158.JPG
    PB030158.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 433

XL-PRO PRO

Sep 18, 2008
Winchester Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT All Pro,Fisher F-19,Blistool V-5,Sovereign XS
I've dug many zincolns that were literally eat in half.Looked like something took a bite out of them.DBULL

nvradar

Dec 27, 2009
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites gm4b, Minelab sd 2200d
YUP!!! HE"S BUSTED!!! LOL Love flyfishing too... and tying a few ;D

OP
OP
B

bigcreekdad

May 14, 2010
Yep....I confess, I tie flies. Been tying for almost 20 years for a trout shop on Michigan's Au Sable river. Also tie lots for myself. As a matter of fact, I caught my largest brown trout ever (24") last Saturday on a streamer pattern I've been messing with.....and it did have Coachman colors.

So.....back to my dilemna. Those disfigurations were not on the pennies before I tried cleaning them. Looking for some advice.

As for fly tying, it's been cut into quite a bit by the detector nonsense that I started this summer.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
don't use vinegar and don't use aquarium gravel. all I use is a handful of sandbox sand and 1 tablespoon of comet and water. it doesn't scratch them, but still gets them clean. however, don't mix pennys with anything else, it'll turn silver clad orange. good luck

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what you have in your hand is zinc pennies,(1983 and newer)
look at 1982 and older COPPER pennies, I am positive they are not pitted like that, skip the vinegar, no need for that. Stick with the rest and you will be fine. I used to separate pennies from other clad because people say it will turn your quarters and dimes colors, then I said to myself, it is clad, who cares! Now I just run it all together, when it is clean I jut dump at the bank.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many if not most of the zinc pennies I've dug are in that condition right from the ground, just dirty. I often skip over them if they disc out or the TID tells me they're most likely zinc..... But once in a while a small ring or other piece of jewelry will id as zinc so I always wonder what I may have missed. The only sure thing in this hobby is to dig it all if you have the patience.
BB

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Just the nature of the zinc pennies.

I normally reserve the junk pouch for them.

Since I have dug some silver rings that showed up as a penny, I just dig em up and get rid of them.

Or course I keep the ones in good conditon.... ;D

Ray S ECenFL

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are doing everything right except don't use the vinegar. I have had plenty on my pennies come out like that also. Just put them in with the rest of your clad and take it to the bank and let them run it thur thier counter. I have only had 2 or 3 coins get kicked out an that was because they was clipped. It all is spendable.....Matt

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have hundreds of those zinclincoln's that look just like those.

The ones the bank won't take after I clean them, I use for change.

Clad Pays

BeerBottleTom

Greenie
Oct 17, 2006
IL
Your doing NOTHING WRONG.
The GOVERNMENT is making CHEAP PENNIES.....
Seriously, it's nothing your doing. Zinc pennies from the ground or even just sitting around where moisture is will eat themselves away from the inside out....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread