Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still on my quest for silver so I decided to check out one of the Citie's oldest parks today. When I arrived I noticed it was much smaller in size than I had remembered. Sure enough a lot on the end of the park had been developed commercially. Guess the city needed the money? I started by working my 4" coil along the sidewalks at the park entrance. It seemed like I found a penny about every foot along this sidewalk, all clad. Maybe a mistake but after 15 straight in the first 30' of sidewalk I got tired of digging pennies and went to program 3 on my Land Ranger which pretty much descriminated that tone out. From then on I dug at least 50 pull tabs looking for nickels. I am still having trouble with nickels reading the same as pull tabs on my machine. Maybe it's just my hearing range but they sound and register the exact same on my machine's display. I found the back off another watch! This is the second watch back I have found in a park and why I have no idea. I dug all tones around the watch back in hopes to find the rest of the watch but no luck. Around the play area I fond a couple of clad dimes. I moved over the the basketball court and found a clad quarter and two more clad dimes. Whiule walking back to my truck I left my detector on and it started beeping really loud so I stopped and dug a big fishing sinker! There's not a fishing hole within a mile of this ark! One thing I have noticed about playgrounds is that the City has been landscaping them with humps and mounds to look like golf courses. The dirt and fill they haul in may be covering up the old coins with several feet of earth in spots. Anyway, no silver to be had today! I am going back soon to work the area around the tennis courts. For some reason I tend to find more coins around the edges of concrete slabs than anywhere else at a park.

Upvote 0
R

rvbvetter

If theres any big trees in your park. Look to see if the roots are exposed if their not, then they probably put fill dirt in at some point and covered the older goodies. Same for other parks also.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Jim, had the same problem with an old girlfriend. She said I looked smaller than she remembered, then I realized she was talking about my waist ::) HAHA. Seriously, some machines have a very close range on nickles vs. pulltabs. Try putting a nickle and a pulltab on the ground a little ways apart and check at what # each comes in at. Also lift your detector a couple inches and see if the sound is slightly different. HH

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Old City Parks are a good source of old silver, but like in your case, a lot of the ground has been filled...
Not sure why they would need to cover so much of the original ground, but they seem to bring in dirt mixed with pee gravel, or even the larger white gravel, like you would use in a driveway. Just doesn't make any since to me why they would have to cover the root of the trees with another 6" to 8" of dirt... They're re-doing one of the parks downtown now, and I notice they are scooping off the top 2 feet of dirt. Not sure why they would need to for this park,,, the grounds were in great shape. I think they know that the potential of finding something of conciderable value is there, and they sift through the dirt before dumping it somewhere else... When it comes to the government, I think the worse, then figure their doing something much worse then that.
Good luck on your next time out...

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should note I am not working any of these areas in a systematic way. I am still learning my machine and mostly just checking out potential sites. Many of the sites on my list have changed since I last saw them and are not very good locales after all. I think my best bet is to concentrate on buildings being demolished this summer. I have several of those lined up and have just joined a treasure hunting club. Perhaps I can recruit some help from a more experienced detectorist and really turn it up this summer? Regardless I am really enjoying myself and even the lowly clad penny is a treasure to me.

BRINK

Oct 21, 2004
Even the LOST LIL PENNY needs to be rescued. My mission is to save as many as I can.
HH BRINK

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
THATS ;D ;D, But she still calls you STONEY,WRYGHT? Seems like every time i think i'm not going to dig that next penny, up comes a nice little relic like a car or other toy.Same on the pull tabs up comes that nickle or ring.Never know untill I dig if it's going back and forth between nickle and pull tab.HH

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BRINK said:
Even the LOST LIL PENNY needs to be rescued. My mission is to save as many as I can.
HH BRINK

LMAO!

I use to think the same way (until) I dug 4,298,634 and a 1/2 pennies (or close!) and said to myself

"there's gotta be something better than this"! ;D

sliteofhand

Tenderfoot
Oct 27, 2004
Jeffersontown, KY
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
Other
Re your checking out demolished buildings--It has been my experience to see what the building was originally and if 1800's usually had a trash pile out the backdoor to the left, where when I find one, are usually good specimens of whisky bottles of the period about 5 to 10 years after it was built. The owner having moved on to another project and left someone else in charge. Most people being right-handed accounts for them being on the left. Best find was a 1700's slab construction whisky bottle in Lexington, KY's downtown renovation. ;)

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep searching, there's silver there somewhere! ;D

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Don't tell everyone that you have 4,298,634.5 pennies. Just ell them that you have over 4 million penny stocks in a copper mine. ;D

M

minelabex1000

rtde3 said:
Yes Minelabex! On a soccer field! The park used to be a farm along time ago. Others have found civil war buttons & more there!

You wouldn't need another hunting buddy, would ya ? ;D

R

rvbvetter

Funny how it all works. I've hunted older looking places and listen for deeper signals. Not getting any , start digging louder signals and finding older coins that shouldn't be that shallow. Why that is? I haven't a clue.

M

minelabex1000

rvbvetter said:
? ? ?Funny how it all works. I've hunted older looking places and listen for deeper signals. Not getting any , start digging louder signals and finding older coins that shouldn't be that shallow. Why that is? I haven't a clue.

You think maybe it's because the older detectors didn't have the depth and therefor lacked the coverage? These deep seeking detectors today cover more area per swing.

M

minelabex1000

jimmileo your story reminds me of an old small town park I haven't hunted in many years. I think I'll try to hit it this summer.

Last time there I found a bunch of Indians in an area about 6ft square. I think I dug about a dozen 1890's to 1906 or so. I also found my first gold ring there about 20 ft from where I found the pennies.

sparkymaster

Feb 21, 2005
South Ogden, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX-XLT-M-6
I hunted a near by park that had a baseball diamond with the side fence's and back stop. The entire length of one of the side fence's turned up nothing but junk and a few pennies, I almost left. Then I checked the other side and it was full of money and other goodies. Kinda weired. I think you'll find the "good spot" in your park if you keep looking. Good luck!!! sparkymaster.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This particular park was not an athletic park. Just a small playground and a couple of covered picnic tables. This is however, one of the oldest parks in the City. It's only about half as big as it use to be because of commercial development on one end. I have checked out a large athletic complex with several baseball and softball diamonds. I found a few coins along the fences going down the 1st and 3rd base lines but the jackpot was behind the backstops. I found a lot of silver clad behind every backstop that had dirt or grass behind it. I noticed that some of the newer ones however were concreted over in that area. Ditto the bleachers. So, if you are seeking clad, look for backstops with grassed in areas behind it. That area usually has quarters, dimes and even the elusive (for me anyway) nickels. If there is an open air basket ball court, check just behind the goals on either end....If you have a small coil run it along the very edge of the sidewalks leading to the fields. Just what I have learned in my short lived career.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread