rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had 5 inches of rain the other day and I heard the creek flooded over the banks. I went and looked around a bit at the gravel bars which will be real good when the water goes down a few feet. Most of the trees that were pushed up are out of the way now. I didnt expect to find much seeing the water was high. This is what I found, HH rock
I did see a big otter and a gobbler doing the dance for a female turkey.

Attachments

• SDC10780.JPG
    SDC10780.JPG
    787 KB · Views: 121
  • SDC10790.JPG
    SDC10790.JPG
    895.7 KB · Views: 99
  • SDC10788.JPG
    SDC10788.JPG
    923.9 KB · Views: 105
  • SDC10789.JPG
    SDC10789.JPG
    898.8 KB · Views: 113
Upvote 0

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Wow rock...you've been finding a lot lately, nice! Boy...5 inches of rain, wish we could have some of that...:( You have "otters" there...hear they're cute! Kind of like that "seal" looking piece of (I guess?) wire in your last post. :)

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I got a pic of it on my phone. I knew we had beavers, muskrats already but didnt know we had otters. They are cute but can be very mean if they have babies near by. I wish I had my camera cause it came rite up where I was standing and smiled at me. At least I hope it was smiling and not showing me its teeth.

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...lol...yah, watch out if it's a "mother"! We actually got charged by a doe while in our truck! Really odd until we saw she had a young one in the nearby brush. Maybe one day you will get a pic. of a otter and then post it...please...:)

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer on the ''Heartbreaker''? and nice finds on the pottery shards.

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Otters are really cool creatures.They are a lot of fun to watch.They are best when in streams rivers and lakes.On the flip side your smile will quickly fade if you have them in your privately stocked pond....Rock you better be careful around those swollen streams that waters cold....mjm

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer on the ''Heartbreaker''? and nice finds on the pottery shards.

Yes the tip was gone and was a fresh break. Probably from tumbling on the gravel and then landed on the sand where I found it. I was excited cause the base was facing up and when I pulled it, well Im sure you can hear me now when I saw the break.

SCrocks

May 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like that creek gonna be good when the water recedes. Like mainejman said if you like to pond fish you DON'T want to see otters. They will slam clean out a pond in a hurry and leave you nothing.

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a big male in the freezer I found hit on the road.No damage, want to have it mounted .Don't know how long it will keep for mounting though......mjm

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
I got a big male in the freezer I found hit on the road.No damage, want to have it mounted .Don't know how long it will keep for mounting though......mjm

that would depend on how you wrapped it up when you put it in the freezer. I was a taxidermist for 25 years and I know a thing or three about freezer burn on hides. Newspaper and a wet towel is a great wrap to use to preserve your animal if you are not going to get it mounted right away.

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info huntress.Sounds like I might have to bury this one.It was only wrapped in a couple garbage bags...mjm

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Most hides will only keep for no more than a year is what a buddy of mine that does taxidermy work said. You need to skin it and salt it down and you are right about an Otter and a pond. Anytime I see one I try to take him for the hide, makes a great bow quiver.:laughing7:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the tip was gone and was a fresh break. Probably from tumbling on the gravel and then landed on the sand where I found it. I was excited cause the base was facing up and when I pulled it, well Im sure you can hear me now when I saw the break.

Yeah, don't you hate it when the pointed end is hidden in the soil and your not sure if the point is complete. I guess that's the "thrill of the hunt".

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, don't you hate it when the pointed end is hidden in the soil and your not sure if the point is complete. I guess that's the "thrill of the hunt".

Very true. It has happened many times you kinda stare at it and whisper....be whole be whole. Then you pull it out and either smile or say something you cant type on Tnet :laughing7:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice looking flint rock,i like those otters i see them around here and like too watch them

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I've been seeing this hen turkey all by herself and wondering if the coyotes will get her before the bobcats. There were 4 turkeys in my front yard and they flew off when I came in one day. I told the person riding with me they were wild turkeys and he asked how I could tell the difference between wild turkeys and domestic. The wild turkeys can fly and the domestic turkeys are like me, they're to fat to get off the ground. lol

Stone

Feb 26, 2012
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would see a lot of otters when I lived in Kissimmee, Florida. I would do a bunch of fishing on lake Toho and they would always try to take the fish I caught. Very cute critters.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks and Im thinking it might of been a river otter that swam up the creek to have babies. It will probably leave after that. I will just have to be careful not to walk that area in the water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread