Chemical structure on deposits

WaProspecting

Mar 18, 2018
Washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just started hounding this past year and would like someone to explain deposits or the chemical structure of deposits. About two years ago I was hiking on a mini hill slide about 20 ft up from the river here in Washington State. I started to notice purple gems in clay ball material. I wasn't sure at the time what I was looking at but when I go check the deposits in the area, the closes deposit shows Alumina clay deposit. The ball material was decomposing/falling apart and the purple gems where grouped together and were bigger than the minerals it was with. When I actually read the full deposit report (public file) it states Al2O3 and I was thinking they drilled because the overburden in that area would of been deep where they marked the location for it.

Do you think these gems could of been corundum because they also have the chemical structure of Al2O3? Just never heard of anyone finding sapphires or rubies in Washington State and reason why I didn't pick them up.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get some of those 'things' and do the proper tests to ID them. Isn't that easier then speculating on a forum?:occasion14:
As a rockhound I collect anything that catches my eye as odd or interesting, sometimes soley to ID it back home.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WaProspecting

WaProspecting

Mar 18, 2018
Washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The only problem is it's dangerous hiking in this area. Tried yesterday and I didn't feel like it was a smart idea to go off the main trail on a hillside above a raging river. The degree on the slope is pretty steep and would hate to get stuck or fall without any help... I got fossils yesterday hiking down there but I couldn't find a safe way over to that spot. Trying to figure out if its even worth my time going back because I don't feel like getting injured down in canyon not many people visit.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
definitely possible, there is corundum in WA state. Like EU said though, good clear photos in natural light and hardness and/or streak test would be helpful.
What Eu and stdenis said.:icon_thumright: If you feel comfortable about it, Can you post a pic of these gemstones in the sunlight so can see them? I am very experienced with sapphires and corundum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
WaProspecting

WaProspecting

Mar 18, 2018
Washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What Eu and stdenis said.:icon_thumright: If you feel comfortable about it, Can you post a pic of these gemstones in the sunlight so can see them? I am very experienced with sapphires and corundum.

I'll get down there sooner or later. Trying to convince my buddy to go (he was with me when I found the clay ball and we actually started joking around about how they could be gems lol). I'll take pictures and send samples if they do turn out to be Corundum (you pay shipping). I'm not one of those greedy types that will keep this all to myself. I can always cut through a property to get into that area but I rather try the legal way before breaking the law :D Going to be mad if its amethyst and I trek that far for nothing.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not be mad if it were good amethyst. Depending on the quality it can be worth a few bucks or more. But its speculation. Give it a go, if you have to cross private property try just asking the owners. Be safe.

Upvote 0

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not be mad if it were good amethyst. Depending on the quality it can be worth a few bucks or more. But its speculation. Give it a go, if you have to cross private property try just asking the owners. Be safe.
Me either! I purposely dig for amethyst here in Montana! And, since I collect corundum crystals, if your offering samples I will absolutely pay for shipping!!! Just let me know!:icon_thumleft: I am willing to send you a sample of one of my corundum crystals as well! In fact, it could help you in identification of your stones!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WaProspecting

WaProspecting

Mar 18, 2018
Washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not saying that I don't like amethyst lol l I just rather have corundum because I know I can get amethyst in the mountains with out the sketchy parts this place brings. I just hope there's more land slides when I go back and shows a layer of gems. I will poop my pants if there's a thick layer of gems that was covered up with 20ft of overburden. The other minerals were starting to erode away while the purple gems were living the hardness life in the mineral ball. Ill let you guys know what I find but weather report straight rain for the next two weeks. You have to love Washington weather reports

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread