Cherry Pick Button

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know it's not literally "Today's Find", but close enough I hope. The thread title is actually poking fun at a reply VMI Digger made in his recent thread. He got a few hours free on Sat and gave me a shout to join him. It was a short hunt but fun. After about 15 minutes of swinging I came across a nice fork. It was so shallow it almost blew my ears out and just about qualified as a surface find. There's no markings on it and only the little detail at the very end of the handle. It was complete when I found it. Then I started messing with it when I got home and PING! I broke it. Grrrrrrrr.:BangHead:
Lesson learned...the hard way! It'll be displayed as is with no further cleaning. If anyone can ID it I'd appreciate it.

fork1.jpg fork2.jpg

After about 10 more minutes I got a really nice upper 60's hit. About three inches down and TADA! The cherry picked button. Ya know I'm gonna refer to it that way from now on, don't ya Jon?! LOL It measured out at 16mm and has a lot of gold gilt left on the front. Unfortunately it's been squashed some, leaving a dent below the right wing. The back is also crushed in and the shank is gone. The backmark is "dot- SCOVILL MFG Co WATERBURY -dot", with a single ring of dots around the shank area. With the help of relicman's website I've been able to ID it as an Indian War era Federal general service button (cuff?), Scovill 930. I've still got a little more cleaning to do on it and I was thrilled to find it. Thanks to VMI Digger for inviting me out!

scovill930back.jpg scovill930front.jpg

Upvote 13

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs and we all have learned the hard way and messed up a good find. Sorry to say I have it on good authority that Jon is finished with metal detecting and is now going to be a "hippie suffer dude" selling Big Daddy Roth items on eBay to finance his new passion.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a fiddle tipped pattern on the fork. mid to late 1800s probably. Too bad its busted up,lol.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds keep it up !!!!!!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the relics! Not to worry, we have all broke a relic or nicked a coin.

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button. The eagle had a look I was not used to seeing, so was relieved that you were able to ID it. Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
Palmetto Pony

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice digs and we all have learned the hard way and messed up a good find. Sorry to say I have it on good authority that Jon is finished with metal detecting and is now going to be a "hippie suffer dude" selling Big Daddy Roth items on eBay to finance his new passion.

THATS why he asked about finding a '48 Ford woody wagon! LOL

OP
OP
Palmetto Pony

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a fiddle tipped pattern on the fork. mid to late 1800s probably. Too bad its busted up,lol.

Thanks for the ID. I found it as a Rogers Bro's silver plated fiddle tip either 1832-1897 -ish. There were no markings left on the underside of the handle to nail it down. Yeah, in the area it broke! LOL

OP
OP
Palmetto Pony

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice button. The eagle had a look I was not used to seeing, so was relieved that you were able to ID it. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! Initial credit goes to VMI Digger. When I dug it he said it looked to roughly late 1800's. That gave a starting point. I also make sure that anytime anyone lists a site for ID references I bookmark it for future use! Great thing about TNet for sure!!

OP
OP
Palmetto Pony

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for all of the kind words guys. Trust me, if I coulda physically kicked my own butt when I broke the fork, I would have. As it is I have a request in with VMI Digger to knock me in the head the next he sees me! LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions