Cherry picking settings....working better than well!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Here are some settings I am using on my 800 lately, reasons why I use them and a few eye opening experiences using them cut and pasted from another forum where I get a bit more technical about my observations.
We have some very challenging dirt here, between the red clay, the tons of naturally occurring iron, iron bits and pieces from knocked down homes and neighborhoods and the carloads of trash, junk and everything else major masking is our enemy...everything I try or do around here is to get around that.
If you hunt in normal and good soil, well, these might work or they might not even be necessary but if you are in challenging sites these settings might produce and open up spots for you, again like they are doing for me.
Or a version of them, might.
Settings are in bold if you don't want to read the whole thing.

###################################

Long one, if you would rather just scroll down to the pretty pictures below.

I have some new cherry picking settings I have been trying, a very narrow range but I want to see if I can quiet everything down around here because the wall of noise I usually have to listen to can be daunting.
I am good at hunting with massive jumping and noise with really hot settings and in really bad dirt infested with iron and trash but I still have to belive I am still missing some really masked targets, targets everyone has been looking for since detectors have been invented.

Settings are Sense high as possible with no chatter, Multi, Field 2, I know Field 1 and Park 1 are more weighted for high conductors but P2 seems to work better and F2 better than that.
I knocked everything out up to 11, 12 and 13 in with a higher tone about 20, and 14 also in with a lower tone at 14.
Nickels hit at either 12 or 13 around here, it could change depending on the site.
Sta tabs can hit there too but mostly they are 14-15 so I threw the 14 in there to listen for any drops in tone as it flirts with that 14 on some signals.
Every signal that I dug that did that was always a tab so I just quit digging them.
Some jumpy 12 -13's can be either nickels or tabs/trash...mostly trash, and most nickels have been solid 12's or 13's.
This thing loves nickels.
I dig all solid signals and a lot of the other 12-13's just in case.
I also zapped out everything from 15-23 so I could go for all copper and higher clad and silver coins and silver jewelry at 24 and up with the highest tone.
I am aiming for older silver coins doing this and also hoping to catch old nickels or a nickel area gold ring if I get lucky.
Yea, I will be missing zincolns, IH's, smaller gold, large gold class rings and other things but the goal is to make it quiet as possible to enable me to hear even a piece of the shortest and most masked targets that really know how to hide in my weird mineralized devil dirt.
Keep in mind I do watch and take into account the numbers but MOSTLY THIS THING, AND ALL I DIG, USUALLY IS ALL ABOUT THE TONES AND HOW THEY SOUND!

The first time I tried these settings I hunted a park that has been hunted forever and by myself more times than I can count.
I also switched over from the sniper to the standard coil for better coverage despite the high density of iron and trash.
I was hoping the quiet environment would help and that the disc system works efficiently to actually give me signals only on targets in those narrow ranges accurately.
Also I needed the target separation to really work well on these settings even with that big coil.

In this park that has not given up much more to me lately than a little shallow modern clad these settings found me all of this all that stuff in the pic below...plus a real chunky 11+ gram silver ring I am wearing now.
Jaw kinda dropped on that hunt, hard to believe all that was still there.
Sure, I couldn't have run my coil over every inch of this place and missed some of those coins in the past but this was not just a few targets and the Nox was picking them out easily all day.
Look at the amount of high tone targets, quarters, dimes and copper cents and a surprising amount of nickels.
I am thinking most of them were on edge or masked somehow but the Nox had no issues seeing them.

Ok, now yesterday I wanted to see if this was a fluke so I walked half a block down to my closest park that I have been to literally hundreds of times because it is so close.
When I have little time it is handy for quick hunts and it is large so I have explored several areas and found some great treasure but this time I was in a smaller area that is loaded with trash, my ever present iron infestation and where I have found a couple of clad coins in the past but never much else except a whole lot of junk.
I still had the large coil mounted but I went in anyway with high hopes.
Sense was maxed out at 25, like my F70 it seems that on the Nox using a whole lot of disc really quiets everything down, like on that first hunt I wasn't hearing much squeaking or falsing, just signals when I was over targets.
I dug a couple of coins I missed before, a copper memorial and a clad dime, and mostly a few pieces of junk that were high conductors, a bit of rusted iron that was jumpy but I went after it any way and a couple tabs that were those 12-13 only jumps.
Most other iron I avoided by hitting the horseshoe button and listening for the low iron tone along with any of the higher ones.

Then I was just moving slowly around a huge tree and got a solid 12 from every direction...no jumps, it just stayed on that 12.
I dug a hole, chopped open a hole, actually, because we are super dry here and everything is like concrete.
Like maybe 4-5" down I finally flip out a bunch of dirt and see something round in the pile.
Coool, a nickel and I love finding old nickels.
It could have been a Washington and if it was I hoped it was older into the 40's but I really love buffs so I was wishing for one of those.
It was super crusty like most everything is here, especially deeper targets and nickels specifically, but I kept rubbing and I saw no Washington, no Indian head, no buff, no nothing on that side and as a matter of fact it was wiped clean...flat as a pancake.
I have found a few of these in the past and I knew what this meant so I turned it over and rubbed off the other crusty side and I finally see a faint outline of Lady Liberty and some stars...plus a date.
A V NICKEL...I was shocked, and I smiled!

This is the kind of thing the Nox is doing around here, I don't know why, the multi q or whatever and I wonder if these coins were on edge because I know I have found several that were definitely on edge so I know mine with the update is working well.
It could be the thing is dealing with iron better, lord knows we have more than our share of that around here and masking is our number one issue.
Whatever it is this thing is working and continuing to drop my jaw.
As soon as I have a hunt where I don't find anything I will switch back to the sniper and hit these sites again and see if even more will pop up.

BTW...I can see that other versions of these settings can come in handy.
Knock out everything but the zinc range and look for Indian Head cents.
Only accept foil and look for small gold.
Set it up to look for almost any specific ranges and targets of your choice while quieting everything else around it so you have a good shot at noticing them...it seems to be working well for me so far.

Attachments

• 2019-06-20 07.21.38.jpg
    2019-06-20 07.21.38.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 2019-06-08 17.01.20.jpg
    2019-06-08 17.01.20.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 120
  • user10659_pic80573_1560890232.jpg
    user10659_pic80573_1560890232.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good report! The only edit I would make is that the '38 and up nickels are Jefferson's, not Washington's. Your experience with settings echoes mine in most cases. In old junky parks, I keep 19 to 23 however, and go by sound and depth to ferret out the Indians and crusty wheats. In my area, a 14 is almost always a tab or wad of foil or aluminum, and never a nickel. I ignore that number too unless I'm at the beach. It could be a gold ring also, but, at a park it's just not worth the effort to dig them all. I too like Field 2 for iron sites and I will sometimes bump up the iron bias to quiet the machine.

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
I’ve had 3 half reales come in at 19 solid and seated dimes are coming in at 22-23 in NH soil. Don’t think I could give up those numbers.

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I’ve had 3 half reales come in at 19 solid and seated dimes are coming in at 22-23 in NH soil. Don’t think I could give up those numbers.

I am a gold hunter so these settings are only experimental for now.
I have found 3 dozen gold targets from high iron up to zinc so I usually have a much wider range.
Usually my favorite way to hunt is all metal or very little disc, plus these sites I have hit over and over again as I will in the future with different settings.
I just wanted to see if I could squeeze out any coins at all that is so loaded with trash and iron that it is challenging to find just one.

Went back to that same area I found the V nickel today, found just a couple of high tone targets but 7 nickels showed up.
Like I said, this thing loves nickels.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing the information! :icon_thumleft:

Nice finds, congrats!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like your strategy. Sounds like it works well for you. Nothing wrong with cherry picking in my book at certain sites. Congrats on your finds!

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some nice reporting. I agree with all you posted. Nickel hound for sure. Prospecting mode- don’t overlook. Especially in your ground and where targets (signals) are scarce.
Eqx is a good bad ground detector. It even reflects this in my area. And my ground not as crude as yours.

Sounds like you are having a ball.

I love using the headphone module with a set of Walkmans especially in warmer weather. Module gives better nuance I think.

Cheers.

PennDirtDigger

Mar 10, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try putting it in all metal mode and then just turning the volume all the way down on the numbers you don't want to hear. I read somewhere that all metal mode goes deeper. Nice hunt!!

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve pulled old nickels at a solid 11. And large old British coppers can pop up at 18, 19.

I’ve had both of those happen just in the last couple weeks.

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I’ve pulled old nickels at a solid 11. And large old British coppers can pop up at 18, 19.

If I was hunting for those I can just adjust the settings to hit them, that is the beauty of this technique.
I am a big fan of hunting wide open, I hunt like that most of the time but this is just a way to let certain signals stand out from the crowd better in challenging sites.
Cherrypicking...not hunting for everything at once.

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yeah, but that isn't what most would call "cherry picking". Gold rings would probably be missed with this as well. Caveat Emptor.

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Same site...6" coil

Adjusted my settings a bit, lowered the low setting down to 8 to hopefully have a little better shot at gold.
Sometime I will come back and hunt only from 1-10 and look for small gold and chains but that is going to entail a lot of effort in this trashy site.

Otherwise, I hit most of the same areas where I found that silver ring and most of the clad in the pic above as an experiment to see if the sniper would make a difference.
I assumed so because in my career I have more hours in using snipers than any other coil.
I hoped to find just a couple more high conductors but what I found floored me.
Between all the hunters that have been here and despite the dozen or more times I have hunted here with 3 other detectors and many coils AND the last hunt I had with the Nox and the big coil and found all that stuff I figured there wasn't a whole lot of high conductors left.
Yea...I was wrong.

Rrrff.jpg

The masking challenges we have here are daunting and both a blessing and a curse.
A curse because so much is hidden both deeper but even at shockingly shallow depths and a blessing because for those that can deal with the masking still have a bunch of great targets within reach.
Turns out the Nox is doing the job just great at dealing with my challenging dirt but when I add the sniper coil to the equation it changes the game and brings things to another level.

As far as cherrypicking high conductors in trashy and iron infested sites these settings on the Nox and the sniper are hitting on all cylinders.

Last edited:

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver dimes as low as 16 for me.... dig it all! :0

Cherry picking is very fun and rewarding though ����

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Silver dimes as low as 16 for me.... dig it all! :0

Cherry picking is very fun and rewarding though ����

16?
Weird, my copper cents and dimes usually go from 24 and up and with all the Iron I have here the Nox can up average them into the low 30's.
That happened alot on this hunt, for some reason quarters rarely ever up average here but other coins do and they don't have to be deep to do it, either.
Another strange thing is a modern nickel came in a solid 10 at about 6-7" deep.
99% of the time nickels are solid 12 or 13's.
All kinds of weird things happen around here.

Cherrypicking is fun, it can be productive if you are looking for specific ranges of targets like I am doing here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Hunt # 3 with these settings and second with the sniper coil and I an still finding nickel and a bunch of high conductive targets.
Lowered the numbers I accept down to 8 looking for a better chance to hit some gold.
None so far but eventually I will accept the whole range from 1 on up to find chains and hopefully gold but the foil I will have to dig might be massive.

Today's hunt netted me more clad and a bunch of copper cents, 2 AA chips in the same hole, (rare), 3 wheats, a tax token and a wrecked watch.
Weird thing is despite all the other metal in this thing it still came in as a quarter signal.

I looked up the watch and see this company sells cheap junk but their gimmick is watches with coins inside as the face.
So I rip off the broken plastic "crystal"and dump out the dirt and sure enough there is a 1977 quarter in there with a hole drilled through the middle for the hands.

I thought about ripping the thing apart and extracting the coin but I thought nope...much cooler if I leave it this way.
I have a ton of dirty quarters around here if I need one.

Attachments

• 2019-07-04 10.22.06.jpg
    2019-07-04 10.22.06.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 2019-07-04 10.23.30.jpg
    2019-07-04 10.23.30.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 2019-07-04 10.25.22.jpg
    2019-07-04 10.25.22.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

charlives

Jan 16, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the thorough report! I've hunted almost everyday with the 600 for the past 18 months. When I hunt in difficult parks I've settled on the exact same settings as you...with the exception I use Park2 instead of Field2. Why do you find Field2 better? I'm all ears and willing to change lol.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Field 2 is better at finding small gold for one thing.....at least in the testing I've done.

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Thanks for the thorough report! I've hunted almost everyday with the 600 for the past 18 months. When I hunt in difficult parks I've settled on the exact same settings as you...with the exception I use Park2 instead of Field2. Why do you find Field2 better? I'm all ears and willing to change lol.

In my dirt Field 2 hits on good targets better, or seems to.
I have hunted in park 2 a lot and a few others but F2 is getting me more right now, or at least it is unmasking targets better around here.
Also the gold thing.
I used to find an average of 6 gold items a year but I haven't found any gold in a couple of seasons and the fever is running high.
Nickes are slowing down now so I might cut them all out and go lower than 8 next hunt at this site.
I will be digging a lot of foil and smaller can slaw pieces but there might be some chains or gold hiding down there with all the garbage.

Last edited:

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The nox in my opinion, in VERY trashy areas like a local park where the are tons of junk like pull tabs, bottle caps and iron etc...is second to none.

When i fancy a quick bit of coin shooting fun at my local park...which has a big football field etc and is absolutely ram-packed with trash...i always come away with loads of coins.

Park 1
Iron bias zero
5 tone
Sensitivity 12-14 MAX.

If i dig 20 holes, at least 18 of them will be coins.

Some people, im opinion try to go wayyyy to deep into the advanced settings and starting potching about with adjusting the threshold, threshold pitch, adjusting the bins etc etc.

Not needed in a super trashy park/soccer field/Tot lot scenario.

This machine is a beast and I love it!!

One more thing....Iron bias on the Nox is about as much use as a chocolate motorbike in the desert [emoji906]

Matt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread