✅ SOLVED Chert tool? Possible artifact

NotJustAnotherSarah

Aug 3, 2018
IN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in a creek in southern Indiana. I feel like it could be something interesting but it could be natural. I think it is chert or Indiana horn stone. This area has this stone in abundance. I find the hole curious.
Thanks for any input! 1533323669252888917445.jpg 15333237221891459055615.jpg 1533323760430-184129008.jpg 1533323796409-2036464285.jpg

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious, indeed.

The pecking patterns on both tips make me lean towards "modified by man".
That the stone is shaped like a potential bead makes me lean towards "modified by man".

Does the hole open up into a natural cavity inside (vug) ?
Or, is there signs of workmanship as you look inside ?
Example ... if drilled, the hole should be straight and narrow ... how deep does it go, can you see the bottom ?

I mean, it's possible that a hollow and porous rock soaked up water and froze in an Indiana winter, blowing out one tip ... But ...

I'm guessing it is a partially made bead.
There's enough hints in these pictures that make me tilt a little in the direction that this was worked on by man.
Do you find other artifacts in the creek/area ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

NotJustAnotherSarah

Aug 3, 2018
IN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not hornstone or any kind of flint. It is far too porous for that. Gary
I wondered if it is some kind of lava stone. It is very heavy for it's size. It reminds me of a weight on my grandma's clock. I thought maybe it was for stunning an animal? Hole doesn't go in past maybe the mid part.
Thanks!

Upvote 0

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not saying that I'm sure it's 100% natural, but I don't see anything that says Native American. Maybe better pictures will help your case.

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
It could be a Native American Charm Stone that has been damaged over time...
Similar to these...

Attachments

• charmstone 3.jpg
    charmstone 3.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 55
  • charmstone 2.jpg
    charmstone 2.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 59
  • charmstone 1.jpg
    charmstone 1.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 66
Upvote 0

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Sarah,
The stone shows abundance of natural abrasion, with many surface indents signifying the less hardness minerals more easily abraided.

The outer rim of the hole section shows some man induced working: the many semi-concoidal chip-like faces composing the outer rim.

Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Sarah,
The stone shows abundance of natural abrasion, with many surface indents signifying the less hardness minerals more easily abraided.

The outer rim of the hole section shows some man induced working: the many semi-concoidal chip-like faces composing the outer rim.

PeckMarks.jpg

Thank you, Geochem,
... someone is seeing the same as I did.
The outline of the hole seems to have a Pattern.
(I'm thinking pecks rather than chips.)

1)one pecks a tiny bowl on the tip
2)one pecks the bottom of the bowl to start and continue the hole inward.
3)Op ignores the needed question ... Does the hole break into a hollow rock or does the hole continue in a man-made fashion.
4)If the hole is indeed man induced ... and it goes half way through ... what would the next procedure be ?

5)One would then start the same procedure on the opposite tip to meet the first hole halfway.

What do we see if we examine the opposite tip ?
I'm seeing the hint of a Pattern.
Poor picture ... But it appears to have a ring of pecks that form a slight bowl ... followed by a second pattern of pecks at the bottom that begin the second hole.

That's three patterns, all very suspiciously located in exactly the right place to form a hole through a stone. The first hole already half way through and the second one barely started, BUT, matching the first tip hole ... VERY suspicious of man-made workmanship.

Nothing conclusive, but requires closer examination.

Place this in my hand, and I'll have answers for you in a matter of seconds.
The definitive answer lies in the manner of the hole inside.
Ask and get ignored ... it's a sad waste of time.

Upvote 0

Geochem

Dec 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do we see if we examine the opposite tip ?
I'm seeing the hint of a Pattern.
Poor picture ... But it appears to have a ring of pecks that form a slight bowl ... followed by a second pattern of pecks at the bottom that begin the second hole.

Place this in my hand, and I'll have answers.
Screenshot_20180804-163557.jpg
I think Plug is correct on the objective of what the stone was being modify to have - a rather proportionally large center bore hole through the long axis of the stone. One end appears to show the almost finished bore chipped/picked out. The opposite side shows small semi-concoildal chips/picks start of making a proportionally large round centered bore hole.

A very interesting find - a man-altered but unfinished artifact.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

NotJustAnotherSarah

Aug 3, 2018
IN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you every one for your input. It is only in the last couple of years that I have been finding artifacts obviously on accident. I'm really trying for a better picture.
1533488659480737762376.jpg 15334887873551816010401.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

NotJustAnotherSarah

Aug 3, 2018
IN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may have? There are other rocks I have found there that are suspiciously man made maybe? I just don't know enough to say yes. I do have a confirmed native american trail marker tree on my property. Sorry for the delay I really need to view this sight on any thing other than my cell phone.
15335132268291816010401.jpg 1533513186143737762376.jpg 15335132268291816010401.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread