Chester Cty Pa Revolutionary War-time Legend and Facts

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
After researching James Fitzpatrick "The Fitch" in Chester County, I wonder if the two are connected. He was a blacksmith apprentice in southern chester county who then worked on the Passmore Farm in the southern part of the county. Fitzpatrick a colonial army deserter was flogged after being caught and brought back to camp. And then deserted a second time and caught. He escaped his captures in fear of another flogging. He vowed revenge on the Whigs. He the went on a 12 month crime spree robbing and then murdering. He then captures Captain Mcgowen ties him to a tree, robs him, and then flogs him. Fitzpatrick then leaves him tied to the tree. After Fitzpatrick is captured, Mcgowen comes to Philadelphia to question where his belongings are. He left them hidden just a few hundred yards from where he was robbed. Read the following and give me your opinion on if you think they can be connected.

The bulk of his crime spree happened just before the Battle of Brandywine. Did he sell the location of the colonial army to the British??? Is this what cost us this battle???

Or is this theory off base??? Could this legend be based on a slave that had been living free in southern chester county???

In the southern part of Chester County, Pennsylvania, is money, too, but
just where nobody knows. A lonely, crabbed man, who died there in a
poor hut after the Revolution, owned that he had served the British as a
spy, but said that he had spent none of the gold that he had taken from
them. He was either too sorry for his deeds, or too mean to do so. He
had put it in a crock and buried it, and, on his death-bed, where he
made his statement, he asked that it might be exhumed and spent for some
good purpose. He was about to tell where it was when the death-rattle
choked his words.

HH Jay

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I have read about Fitz as well. Interesting stuff. Not sure I think he was the one that tipped the British though. My bet is on a local farmer. Pretty sure I know what farm as well. We should detect some time. I'm off Rt.322 & 82.

Brian

OP
OP
T

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
I have mixed emotions on Fitz selling out of it being someone else. He was beaten by the colonial army though. It would have been a great way to seek revenge on the army. yesterday I did some homework to find the Passmore farm and have come close to the area. Im in Westwood.......

OP
OP
T

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
After a few hours at the Historical Society today Ive found the farm where Fitz was raised. I beleive that I drove past it yesterday while driving around the county. But the cool thing is I have a current physical address. And according to google maps there is still a farm there with a tenant house. Time for another drive.

The society had a ton of great things about Fitz.

HH Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread