Chicago worlds fair-hinge plate

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
I dug this at 8 inches. Looks to me like a piece of a ladies compact or a cigarette book. I'm inclined to think the former as the back still had pieces of glass in it. It looks to me like it is the middle section out of the entire piece but I could be wrong. I can't find anything out about it on line.

This is the best I could clean it with soap, water and Q-tips. It is still hard to see in the pics but I am afraid to clean it anymore. it is easy enough to see however with the naked eye and reads as follows.

"Chicago Worlds fair 1833-1933"

It also has the bust of what looks like the statue of liberty but she has wings coming out from her head. I also think I can see the word LIBERTY in her head band but can't be sure. This is the only interesting thing I have ever found at this park. At the time I dug it I didn't really know I had anything till i got back home, just looked like junk. So I didn't look for other pieces but now I might go back and try to find more of it. Let me know what y'all think and happy hunting.

TG

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 336
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 362
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 316
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 319
  • 4 - Copy.JPG
    4 - Copy.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 324
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 322
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 320
Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here's a pic of the image on your find:
http://www.chicagopostcardmuseum.org/images/1933_worlds_fair_lg_poster-1.jpg

A Century of Progress World's Fair was held to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the incorporation of the City of Chicago. Its theme was to demonstrate the nature and significance of scientific discoveries, the methods of achieving them, and the changes which their application has played in industry and in living conditions. The World's Fair drew over 39,000,000 visitors (so successful it was repeated in 1934) and for the first time in American history an International fair paid for itself.

The image features the "I will" maiden beckoning fairgoers to attend Chicago's centenary celebration.
Don.....

OP
OP
Texasgopher

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Thanks MUD
Thanks PTK

Don, Thanks so much that is so cool. The pic is awesome. I can definitely see her hand now that I know what I'm looking for. Thanks again for the info.

Thanks 4-H, lol, I know. I figured most everyone was familiar with em.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread