Chiggers...

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 440, E-Trac, Fisher F-Pulse pin-pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
...brother, did my metal detector find them or what!!! Spent 30-40 mins in the woods day before yesterday, swinging the E-trac and now I look like I've been shot with a shotgun from every angle, on all sides. Whelps everywhere. :thumb_down: Some I can't mention for the kiddies who might lurk hereon and for the rest of ya, who don't want to know. Chiggers...you can't see em or feel em, till it's too late...usually the next day. Kinda wish I didn't have fingernails...only temporary relief and only makes it worse.

REMINDER :lightbulb: - IF you're heading for the woods/pasture...BE SURE to treat your shoes, lower legs and forearms with Eucalyptus oil or bug spray that contains "Neet" (SP) before venturing there.

Worst thing - - - didn't score a darn thing, except alum. trash, which seemingly was underneath my coil no matter where I swung. Good luck, stay well and HH!!!! :hello:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish you well. Now, your mission forward is never to repeat whatever you did.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go to the store and get some Benedryl gel. It really helps a lot. I hate chiggers. They're the worst. Gary

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chigger really make life a living hell , and the itching last what seems like weeks with scars that last months into years.
Secondary infection is almost certain with all the scratching.

Shorty someone will post that you need to smother the chigger with fingernail polish , that's an old wives tail , when you scratch or showered they all came off.
good luck to you man the next few weeks won't be fun.

NewAge

Jan 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got em once when working down south many years ago.....they really suck.
I tried numerous home remedys to get rid of them or ease the itching but nothing worked.

I did start wearing flea collars on my ankles and duct tape my pants to my boots and worked in roughly the same area of Southern Maryland near Chesapeake Bay thru another summer and did not get them again.

OP
OP
monkeys uncle

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Got em once when working down south many years ago.....they really suck.
I tried numerous home remedys to get rid of them or ease the itching but nothing worked.

I did start wearing flea collars on my ankles and duct tape my pants to my boots and worked in roughly the same area of Southern Maryland near Chesapeake Bay thru another summer and did not get them again.

Flea collars...GREAT IDEA!!!! T H A N K S ! ! !

MKW

Feb 3, 2020
Coastal SC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 600
ML Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate chiggers. They are pretty bad here. I get a few bites every time I go in the woods detecting even though all my hunting clothes are treated with Sawyers. That's the price I pay, I guess. Once, while looking over my lot, before we bought it, I got them BAD. My wife counted over 700 bites all over me. It was probably the most miserable I have ever been.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys and gals, we have them down here too. Get some "Skin so Soft". It's made by Avon. Down here it's also sold in some feed stores if you don't have an Avon associate close by. Take a cap full of that and put it in your bath water. Soak in the tub and when you get out, just stand up and drip dry. Don't towel off. It leaves a coating on the skin. Put your clothes on over it. I also have a spray bottle filled with it to spray around my cuffs and boots. The only drawbacks are a tub that needs cleaning and it will get removed if you do alot of sweating. That is why I have the spray bottle. Weather down here is summertime most of the year and we all sweat. It might not keep them all off as I said, you'll sweat it off, but it keeps many of the biting bugs away. Deet also works but dammed if I'll intentionally put something on my skin that will take the finish off my guns...

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you get em, listerine will kill em.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep thats crappy . I never go to the woods without some kind of repellent here in MI you will be eaten alive. Live and learn.....Tommy

OP
OP
monkeys uncle

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
A simple shower will kill them too.

By the time you get home and into the shower, the damage is already done. They've achieved their "destiny" don't wait to "dig in" and deposit their toxin/blood thinner (?).

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
chiggers are actually a type of "tick". when I was a kid pickin' berries, we soaked rags in "coal-oil" and no ticks or chiggers.
You can actually dig 'em out using a magnifying glass, and a sewing needle. Red bugs they call em also.
I'll trade you 2 blind ones for 4 with no teeth

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread