Chinese Coin from yesterday. Identification?

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Lostlake and I worked an area yesterday, and found 3 Chinese coins. I also popped a 1913 Barber dime and a 1943 Mercury Dime(not pictured). Lostlake posted his down the board a little bit. Someone posted a possible identity of the coins that he had, so I wanted to show closeups of mine. A reply stated they were 1736-1795. I can't see how that is possible(house yard is 1880), so here are some closeups of the one I found. Can anyone read Chinese or have a positive ID? Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson

Attachments

• metaldetecting812008a.jpg
    metaldetecting812008a.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 413
  • metaldetecting812008b.jpg
    metaldetecting812008b.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 413
Upvote 0
OP
OP
pointdlr

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
PBK,

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the heck are 3 1700's Chinese coins doing in an 1880's house yard in Cincinnati, Ohio? Ranks right up at the top of strangest finds for me.

Jon.

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Part of the chinese underground railroad builders...in Ohio! :) jgas

toolman61

May 31, 2008
That was my thought probably a chinese laundry there way back in the day or someones good luck charms. Maybe a little research on the area might give you the answer? Good luck on finding out. Very nice finds either way!! HH Tom

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
certain old coins are thought to be "lucky" coins by the chinese ---so when the chinese railway "coolies" (near slaves) left china to labor building the railways in the USA ( very hard and dangerous work)--- they brought a lucky piece coin with them from home for "luck" --its value as money at the time was very little -- thats how a much older chinese coin arrived at a much newer time frame american site. and how it fits into "place" history wize.--- Ivan

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering the same thing about How they came to be. A truley cool and interesting find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread