Chinese disc found in Kentucky

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's hard to determine from the photo if the bi is real or fake. it could be real and may have been brought to America at a later time.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would agree with Yang Hao, brought to the States at a much later time - brought (bought?) by some early American, World traveler.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I notice that the link says the diameter is 2.5" Which I take to mean inches, not centimeters. If so, then this is not a cash coin. If it had been, and even if it dated to the 1300's, that means nothing at all. Because those silly coins came over here en-masse, with the chinese coolies (RR and mine workers, etc...) by the 10's of thousands. With utterly no respect for dates on them. As if they were stored in barrels in China for centuries, before being broken open to pass out, or ready for a long-journey, etc... So there is absolutely no correlation to the age versus when they circulated.

But if this is 2.5" diameter, then it's some larger disk object. Not a coin, per se.

But I'd still say the same : That if the cash coins, irregardless of their age, then so-too could other keepsakes have arrived with Chinese immigrants. After all: people collect ancient coins, antiques, etc... And the human nature is nothing new: People, even a century ago, tended to collect souvenirs, keepsakes, antiques, etc.... And there's technically nothing to stop that from being lost in modern times.

Example: When I was an 11 yr old kid, a family friend of ours, upon seeing my passion for penny collecting, gave me a coin from Roman times. AD 90, or whatever. He had picked it up at a tourist souvenir stand while in the Holy land or Egypt or whatever on travels. As a 11 yr. old, I could have promptly gone out and lost that. Just sayin'.

Or another example: A friend of mine, while hunting the dry sand at a beach in a touristy down, found a vintage seated quarter STILL WRAPPED in the plastic sleeve , with the price tag on it. Doh! Obviously he put 2+2 together, and realized some tourist must've just left the nearby stamp & coin store, and fumble fingers lost it on the beach.

So we need-not jump to conclusions anything something old is found, as if it, of necessity, was lost at the mint time.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking a hoax.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread