Chinese Laundry and a Hundred Dollar Bill

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
They are tearing the older part of town down along the river,so since it was drizzling rain and freezing cold I thought it was a perfect day to hunt and not go to work. They have demolished the houses and according to an old 1875 map, there was a chinese laundry and bathhouse here. The grader had pushed the top layers of dirt around and I began seeing tons of broken bottles,dishes and pottery. Sad Sad Sad! Then I pulled the tiniest bottle I have found out of a pushed over tree stump,followed by the clay marble. After picking through lots of shards and a few long spikes ,I decided to crawl under some shrubs,to get out from the rain. Then I saw it...the hundred dollar bill! It was sticking out from a huge rock....Wet and freezing I slithered right in there and wrestled that rock for ownership. I was doing the happy dance in my head...and singing "I found a hundred dollars..I found a hundred dollars". Finally able to push that rock,using both feet...my greedy little hands pulled that hundred dollars out ,all ready to give it a big kiss....I was even being greedier by thinking I had found the Chinese Cache ...visions of what we were going to buy (ok ,pay off) danced in my mind....when WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....It was fake! Now I was total mud from head to foot and the dang laundry and bathhouse wasnt even open!

Attachments

• tiny jar (quarter is for size) clay marble.JPG
    tiny jar (quarter is for size) clay marble.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 912
  • little jars and tiny soap dish.JPG
    little jars and tiny soap dish.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 914
  • boo-hoo\'s.JPG
    boo-hoo\'s.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 919
  • rotten trick.JPG
    rotten trick.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 914
  • crying time.JPG
    crying time.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 898
Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Nice little bottles, gypsy! Sorry that the $100 was a bum deal. Can hear Cheyenne now. "Mom, you're not getting in the jeep like that are you?!" LOL No doubt there's more to find in that pile. Good luck on the return trip and maybe the Chinese Cache will still be yours. ;)

M

mchamby

that looks like it would have been a good place, too bad they broke most of the bottles, maybe you can still find a few intact.
HH
Mchamby

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hi Gypsy

Wow, now that's way too much of a tease,
wish it was real, muddy girl :(

Nice bottle and marble and hopefully more to come.

That's an interesting piece of plumbing you found there...lol.

SMiles!
BDoo

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LMAO!!!!!! Gypsy, I'm sure it was disappointing, but I'm sure you'll get back there and get the last laugh.

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW !! Sounds like you had one heck of a day! Even with all the Mud and fun, you still managed to find a paper 50 Dollar Bill! lolol ;)

Also congrats on the first Mini Bottle. I think it was one of the sample bottles given to some old Store or Doctors office back in the day. All in all.... a great performance concidering Wet conditions, Mud everywhere, cold and damp.......You can detect with me any day!!!! :o :o :o

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
So sorry gypsyheart :'( that would of put all most anyone in a downward slope type mood after wrestling that rock for a fake 100 spot ! LOL

Nice little finds never the less. ;D

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I would had looked around to see if I could spot "Candid Camera" somewhere. ;D

Glad you managed the small bottle & marble, but the shards...a crying shame. :'(

;) RR

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
River Rat said:
I think I would had looked around to see if I could spot "Candid Camera" somewhere. ;D

Glad you managed the small bottle & marble, but the shards...a crying shame. :'(

;) RR
Too funny...from my muddy hole I could see the construction guys on top of a building and was wondering how fast I could make it back to the jeep without drawing any attention to myself.....I could see the headlines now....."Mudwoman Emerges From River Bed" ....Contractors Run in Fear.... I had to lay garbage bags on the Jeep seats before I let myself in! LOL

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:D :D Poor Gypsy.... :P

Hate to hear it wasn't real. :-\ But wasn't it fun to think just for a second that it was!! ;D

Nana ;)

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi gypsy congrats on your find, nice bottle and did you have googles and flippers on too in the mud. ;D ;D ;D Tonights news "chinese mud monster with half a hundred dollar bill found" ;D ;D ;D

tinpan

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
sorry to hear about the fake hundred Gypsy, but at least you got a free mudbath! See there is always a silver lining if you look for it. Better luck next time.

HH

Funkman

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's too funny Gypsy! You still made a few nice and interesting finds. HH, Mike

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Truly awesome gypsy! I don't know why some THers don't save the pottery pieces. These are a part of the history of a place and what better way to touch the past?

Also these can be made in many cool items for display.

Best to you and keep that spirit of treasure!

Badger

Steve in Michigan

Apr 9, 2005
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350, Garrett Freedon Ace
Hi GypsieHeart,

I have always enjoyed your post. Looking at your tiny bottles, is it possible that those are snuff bottles? I know they were small and some of them were very ornate, but since this was the working class, they could have been plain as well. Just wondering. Also, Remember when you wrote about that hill that you climbed were you dug those old bottles and some old coins? Did you ever go back there? I thought that it was very fasinating that all that stuff was there. Well look forward to hearing your reply. Keep up the good work. Wish I lived closer, I would ask if you would like to go hunting on a Saturday, but Michigan is a far drive! HAHAHA Take care!

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
Hey Gypsy...maybe if you would of stayed under that bush all wet and muddy someone might of come along and thought you were homeless and givin you a real hundred dollar bill. Pretty funny story but I'm sure that being fooled by a fake bill wasn't too funny especialy after all the effort you put in to recover it.You did manage to make a few nice finds and by the looks of all the artifacts you found there's bound to be some more keepers there. I wish you the best of luck on future hunts there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread