Chinese Sterling Silver

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit a new TS today and finally got into some precious metal after a long drought. I think. I've been wary of Chinese "sterling" as it is clear that eBay is loaded with fake sterling pieces from China, but when I picked up these two boxes I had to buy them ($2 each). The boxes seemed old, and I had to know what exactly they were. When I got home, I Googled around and discovered that in the late 1800's and early 1900's Chinese silversmiths made silver pieces for the export/tourist market and that many of these are highly collectible. I cleaned all the old wax build up on these and think they are quite nice. Each is about 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" tall. They are marked in Chinese on the bottom with what I think are the same two characters that are on the cloth label on the box above the words sterling silver. I cannot find anything like these. It doesn't help that there is a brand of China dishes called Sterling.

Can anyone help me? Are the marks the maker's marks or "Sterling" marks? Anyone else have experience with Chinese pieces?

IMG_0001_edited-1.JPG
IMG_0007_edited-1.JPG
IMG_0010_edited-1.JPG
IMG_0011_edited-1.JPG
IMG_0013_edited-1.JPG

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they are silver that's a hefty bunch of it! Congrats! :occasion14:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
List them with International shipping. Chinese buy this and pay good money. Sold a small bamboo and silver export bracelet to a guy in China for $157. Couldn’t believe it.

OP
OP
H

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
List them with International shipping. Chinese buy this and pay good money. Sold a small bamboo and silver export bracelet to a guy in China for $157. Couldn’t believe it.

Sounds like good advice; I wouldn't have thought of that. I don't usually ship internationally, but I might have to consider it for this item. That is, if I don't decide to keep it.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Napkin holders maybe? Looks like the hole goes all the way through.
Marvin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread