Chinese Tree Trunk Hand Carved Wall Plaques

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From an estate sale these wall plaques were made from a tree trunk that was cut in half and then hand carved and hand painted with so much attention put to detail. The beauty of this comes from the hands and skill of a great craftsman.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
In my research I have failed to find any thing similar that could lead to me to a time frame, place or the craftsman's name. Any and all help is appreciated that would lead to a name, place and time regarding these plaques. Thanks to all in advance....

TREE CARV 0.JPG ..... TREE CARV 1.JPG ..... TREE CARV 5.JPG ..... TREE CARV 7.JPG ..... TREE CARV 8.JPG ..... TREE CARV 9.JPG

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't seen anything like that before. The hanging hardware is newer, as screws weren't used in traditional carving and the bracket is machined. That's not to say they weren't added later. Likewise, the paint does not look organic, and more of an artificial color, something that also would point to being more modern. I have seen whole shops of qing dynasty woodwork and don't recall anything so brightly colored. Again, possibly painted over something original. Lastly, the backside is a uniform cut, such as a bandsaw. Traditional Chinese woodwork is usually roughly hewn with simple tools. I'm learning more towards a Hong Kong or Taiwan export in the midcentury, but it needs a closer examination. Either way, very meticulous woodworking and a good decoration

HH
-GC

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't seen anything like that before. The hanging hardware is newer, as screws weren't used in traditional carving and the bracket is machined. That's not to say they weren't added later. Likewise, the paint does not look organic, and more of an artificial color, something that also would point to being more modern. I have seen whole shops of qing dynasty woodwork and don't recall anything so brightly colored. Again, possibly painted over something original. Lastly, the backside is a uniform cut, such as a bandsaw. Traditional Chinese woodwork is usually roughly hewn with simple tools. I'm learning more towards a Hong Kong or Taiwan export in the midcentury, but it needs a closer examination. Either way, very meticulous woodworking and a good decoration

HH
-GC

Thanks Goldencoin,...I also have looked at thousands of wall plaques and the larger percentage are usually browns with gilt etc and so far have not been able to find
any thing as colorful or detailed. Gotta agree - very meticulous woodworking, good decoration and a closer follow up is deserved... I'm sure they are out there
but from what I have looked at for plaques there is usually no "women" figures, on this one it does appear to my eyes that this person sitting in the seat is a "Princess
Holding a flag" and having her wheeled chair controlled by a servant. (Picture Attached) Thanks again for your input..

TREE CARV 10.JPG

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me, it looks more like a shield than a wheelchair. There's no historical figures in popular Chinese history that would have used a wheelchair. The triangular flag and parasol above look like imperial style, but other than that it's hard to read any more significance into that specific piece

HH
-GC

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me, it looks more like a shield than a wheelchair. There's no historical figures in popular Chinese history that would have used a wheelchair. The triangular flag and parasol above look like imperial style, but other than that it's hard to read any more significance into that specific piece

HH
-GC

From that picture it certainly does look like a shield. Having the advantage of having these plaques in hand I get to see all sides and angles.
Really appreciate your input and opinions as it gets me motivated to do more in depth research and from that I found online where they say
China had wheel chairs (pic attached). I have also attached two pictures that show different views & angles showing the servant pushing with
two hands and the other shows a second wheel...

Wheel 1.JPG ..... Wheel 2.JPG WheelChair China.jpg

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whom ever carved this really knew the Chinese history as even the horses are decorated very similar to the warrior horses of hundreds of years ago.
Found a picture online that shows the way they decorated their horses and on both plaques all the horses have the decoration on their chest (a piece sticking
out to represent the decoration)........

Warrior Horse Picture.jpg ..... Horse 44.JPG

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes,from that perspective I can see it's certainly a wheeled chase or something similar. For sure. You can see a lot of symbolism and representation in the pieces. They most likely reflect ancient legends of which I'm not well versed in. Try looking about the piece to see if there's original paint beneath the modern stuff, that's the only thing that would help leas more to it's origins.

HH
-GC

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really beautiful carving.

Wheelchairs (or perhaps wheeled chairs would be a more correct term here) have existed for a very long time and it's not uncommon for a Chinese Empress to be depicted sitting on one. This is a pair of 17th Century Chinese carved wooden temple figures of an Emperor and Empress:

Temple Figures.jpg

Look carefully and you will see that although the Emperor is sitting on a conventional throne, the chair of the Empress has a pair of wheels. Not because she was infirm, but because her status demanded that she should not have to walk.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes,from that perspective I can see it's certainly a wheeled chase or something similar. For sure. You can see a lot of symbolism and representation in the pieces. They most likely reflect ancient legends of which I'm not well versed in. Try looking about the piece to see if there's original paint beneath the modern stuff, that's the only thing that would help leas more to it's origins.

HH
-GC

Followed your advice and I did find in only a few spots what looks like to me to be gold gilding (great call on your part - Kudos)... Pics attached...

Tree Gilding 1.JPG ..... Tree Gilding 11.JPG

Other than these few spots of what looks like gilding I cannot see where it may have been painted over...

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A truly beautiful piece of art! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions