Chips are frozen, but not sand.

krymesolvr93

Oct 27, 2013
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to an elementary school today. The temp was about 20 degrees when I got there. I tried the woodchips first. The chips were stuck together but still enough to get through. Thought I was going to need a flamethrower for this hunt.:laughing7: There is a part where there is sand and that is not frozen.:icon_thumright: I managed to get some coins but not a lot. I might have to hit the beach soon because the woodchips are done for the season. GL & HH!

Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, the moisture in the wood helps it freeze quicker than sand. In the spring, the sand will also thaw faster. Bad thing about the chips in spring is that the top couple of inches will be thawed out but when you go to dig a signal you find there is still wood chip concrete underneath.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same with the beach sand in early Spring, but it is still the best bet for early digging Hitting the beaches regularly this time of year, can still dig as deep as you want, no matter how cold it is.......................sod/turf, and wood chips= a lot of work, when froze Going to the beach today, 37 degrees and sunny, shouldn't have to dodge sun bathers
Yeah, the moisture in the wood helps it freeze quicker than sand. In the spring, the sand will also thaw faster. Bad thing about the chips in spring is that the top couple of inches will be thawed out but when you go to dig a signal you find there is still wood chip concrete underneath.
Revised; Beach has about 2" of "chippable" sand, after that like concrete. Time to take out the batteries, and call it a year..........................darn it!!

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.............sigh, and I just put a fresh set in.

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same with the beach sand in early Spring, but it is still the best bet for early digging Hitting the beaches regularly this time of year, can still dig as deep as you want, no matter how cold it is.......................sod/turf, and wood chips= a lot of work, when froze Going to the beach today, 37 degrees and sunny, shouldn't have to dodge sun bathersRevised; Beach has about 2" of "chippable" sand, after that like concrete. Time to take out the batteries, and call it a year..........................darn it!!

Traverse City snowed in didn't even bring the e-trac up. Although the Excal is up here in case I get any crazy ideas.

frozen_beach.jpg

Time to do some research for the spring hunts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread