Choosing a pinpointer?

GoneDiggin_?

Aug 6, 2015
WPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 months into this new hobby and I am finding it very enjoyable. Slowly adding to my gear. I tried to purchase an X-pointer but I got a response that the order was not processed due to the item having too many relibilty issues. Any suggestions for a pinpointer at a resonable price and easy to use? Momma's a diggin :)

Upvote 0

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Whites TRX is the best of the bunch and $135 is a reasonable price for a quality Pin pointer with a 2 year warranty that can pick up a quarter at 4+ inches depending on mineralization of the soil. It is also waterproof to 10 ft and runs on AA or 9v batteries

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I never heard that the X-pointer ever had too many issues, unless the folks saying it doesn't detect small gold and foil have their "complaint way."

I'd still buy that one, from a different dealer.Totally the best bang for the $$. Mine's been great and most reports I read says others feel the same.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I never heard that the X-pointer ever had too many issues, unless the folks saying it doesn't detect small gold and foil have their "complaint way."

I'd still buy that one, from a different dealer.Totally the best bang for the $$. Mine's been great and most reports I read says others feel the same.

I agree !

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using the Garrett Pro-Pointer for 2 years now, been working great. Many in my local treasure club use the same model. Garrett now has a newer model called the Pro-Pointer AT, nicknamed the Carrot because it is all orange. It's advertised as waterproof to 10 feet.

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll second the Garrett "Carrot" Pro-Pointer recommendation. It's an excellent water-proof pin pointer. I had Garrett's original black pin-pointer for a couple years, which was pretty good, before upgrading to the Carrot. I bought mine from Bart at BigBoys who always gives me good service.

Last edited:

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Whites TRX is amazing, you can get targets at 4" to find the general location, then home in so you can find the target in its exact location as you get closer. No side detection makes it that much easier, I've never damaged a coin since using it! When I had the garrett pro pointer, it was often hard to tell where in the hole the target was. The garrett also went faulty after 8 months, it also wasn't as deep.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
The TRX without side detection makes retrieval time longer and a PITA, especially when the the target is the same color as the dirt, which is the norm here unless you dig a silver. I use the TRX on every hunt but mainly for pre-dig to see if the tector is correct that target is really 2-4 inches. Once in the hole, my X-Pointer takes over. There's a separation of opinions about the lack of side detection. It's obvious which camp I am in.

Either the X-Pointer(first choice) or the Garrett Carrot is the way to go.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Deteknix X-pointer has no issues, they work fine. A few of the early ones had a problem with a battery clip breaking , but they were all exchanged under warranty. The Garrett waterproof AT pinpointer is also an excellent choice. We offer free priority mail shipping, mention Tnet and I'll throw in a free pinpointer mount!

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Thanks Wayne. It sounded like someone was doing something squirlly in the "issues" comment. Dollar for dollar, nothing beats the $89 XPointer, IMO. Mine's been perfect for over a year now. I usually am apprehensive with posters having a single post and it attempts at attacking or starting a flame war. If they own a $212 new detector, an $89 PPer seems more appropriate than the $150+ ones.

Just an observation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GoneDiggin_?

Aug 6, 2015
WPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the feed back - I really kinda liked the X-Pointer. Maybe it was the dealer that I tried to purchase it from????? I will keep looking - thanks all!

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got my X-Pointer last week...and I am sold!!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would look into the Deteknix XPointer one more time. It's an awesome pinpointer that WILL NOT false no matter how hard you try.

I bought mine after almost getting a Garret Propointer and I'm really happy with my choice. Plus, I saved about 40 bucks as well. I actually got mine from Fort Bedford detectors in Pa; a T'Net sponsor and I highly recommend that company as well. it was a pleasure doing business with them and they went out of their way to give me satisfaction.

There were some earlier issues but they've been corrected as far as I know. I had a little problem with mine when the select button popped out during a hunt. I just taped it up and continued with it.

The 2 year warranty is great and they offered to replace the whole thing immediately but I opted to just have them send me a new button which they did. I replaced it myself in about 40 seconds and it's as good as new with no problems whatsoever since. I think the rubber may have been torn from the factory or something because I haven't heard of this particular problem happening to anyone else and neither did the guy I bought it from.

The sensitivity of the XPointer is very impressive and it's very well made. I used mine yesterday at a lakeside hunt and it was practically buried in the sand a few times. I shook it off and it was fine. It's very tough and again, it will NOT false; ever.

I really love the XPointer and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good, solid, tough and reliable pinpointer at a great price.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GoneDiggin_?

Aug 6, 2015
WPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy to say that I got a "Carrot" the other day - it has been working fine as I am learning to use it.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Annie, I'm glad you like your "carrot"! Sorry we were out of orange X-pointers, but now you have a great orange waterproof Garrett Pro-pointer AT. Thanks for working with us.

If anyone else is looking for a Deteknix X-pointer, you should order quickly. The current USA Distributor has stopped carrying them due to an exclusivity issue in their contract. All warranties will be honored and remaining units will have the full two year USA warranty. I have about 6 black X-pointers left in stock.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
G

GoneDiggin_?

Aug 6, 2015
WPA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Wayne - thanks for hooking me up! As a newbie - it is working well in my digs and learning with this new tool. I went to a new spot the other day when I was off. I just asked for permission to dig this park 30 min earlier. I was out of my car for 5 minutes and a guy drove up and approached me. I was thinking Oh no!!! He struck up a conversation with me and noticed the pin pointer and looked at it. Told him that I just got it... he liked it. He also gave me a tip on a few other places to dig. Being on a vacation day I checked them out.... It was a good day! Glad there are helpful people out there for those new to the sport!!!! Have a good one!!

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 months into this new hobby and I am finding it very enjoyable. Slowly adding to my gear. I tried to purchase an X-pointer but I got a response that the order was not processed due to the item having too many relibilty issues. Any suggestions for a pinpointer at a resonable price and easy to use? Momma's a diggin :)

The Garrett Pro-Pointer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread