Choosing detector

Scott7

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,it's been awhile since,not sure if this is the right place to post this.Ive been MDing for probably almost fifty years on and off,right now I have a Vaquero,which I really like.Im thinking about getting something different around the $600 range.Ive kind of narrowed it down to the minelab x-terra 705,or the fisher f75.I have watched a few videos on both,seems like the f75 has quite a bit of chatter.Im not afraid to learn a new detector.I realize it will take time with any new machine.I know there are a lot of other detectors in that price range,any other suggestions?thanks for any input,I appreciate it

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Honestly, your Vaquero should do real well for you, yet I'm sure you'll get a fine machine, if you buy - but keep that Tesoro!

OP
OP
S

Scott7

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply,I do intend to keep my Vaquero, another possibility might be the makro racer.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it depends on what you detect are you a coin shooter relic hunter ect I'm sure you will get several different apinions I like the AT PRO If I were you I would go to a nearby Dealer and they should have some demo detectors and test areas and see if that helps HH Tommy

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The newer F75s are not near as chattery as when they were first introduced, in 2008 I believe. No doubt at least some of those videos are older, and made with first generation F75s.
Keep in mind a machine sensative enough to find a coin a foot (or a little more) deep won't run as silent as one that can only find a coin 7-8 or 9 inches deep, which is the range of pretty much everything at that price point. The new pricing on F75 "gold" as they now call it is a super deal on a high end powerfull detector.

I'd be leary of the racer, when it first came out there were rave reviews of it, and in my opinion the first few of those were mostly "testers" who got the machine for free. Very suspicious I find that the same reviewers put their Racers up for sale almost immediately after the review was finished. "IF" it was all that, why didn't those people keep it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Scott7

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do mostly coin hunting, but do get out in the woods sometime.
The AT pro looks pretty good, but might be a little heavy.Ive watched alot of Nugget noggins videos.

James/Texas

Mar 6, 2008
Edinburg, Texas
Detector(s) used
Many. A lot. Whole bunch. Several.
I have the F75, F19 and the X-Terra 705. All three are great detectors. All three are lighter than the AT Pro and, at I think are better. Others will not agree, but that is fine. I am 67 and have back problems. I tried the AT Pro that a friend had and it was not as light as I would like and not allow this old guy to stay in the field as long. Any of the three detectors I mentioned would do you a good job but I find more nickels with the F19 than the other two. The F75 was updated to DST when first offered and that really did quieten it down, It is adaptable to any type of hunting you would do except water hunting and my 'go to' detector. You couldn't go wrong with any detector I mentioned. It is mainly how well you learn the detector you purchase and how much time you put in the field. Good luck on your decision.

OP
OP
S

Scott7

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your reply Jame/Texas,how do you like your 705? I've watched a few videos on it,seems pretty good,really no chatter.Thats the one thing that gets to me after while is all the pops ,chirps and false signals.I was also thinking about the teknetics t2,but seems it has issues with EMI too

OP
OP
S

Scott7

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,James,where did you get your golden u-max ?I had one ,sold it on ebay to someone in texas

mooncusser

Sep 1, 2016
salisbury maryland
Detector(s) used
garret a/t pro whites v3i whites treasure pro
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello Scott7 , i have been using my a/t pro now for 2 years i also use a whites treasure pro and a whites v3i. iam still learning all the machines , i set both the a/t pro and the v3i on all metal at a park this weekend . i used the v3i first and the a/t pro last. the signals with the v3i where accurate but with the a/t pro i found 6 coins i had already gone over . the v3i costs three times as much as the a/t , i dont feel dissapointed because i remember when i went from my bounty hunter to the a/t pro i fealt the a/t pro chattered too much but i have learned the machine well and have grown very fond of it. The reviews i have read on the machines i own are mostly all good . you have been metal detecting for a long time and you will do well with whatever machine you choose and i would love to here your experience with your choice...good luck

OP
OP
S

Scott7

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies.Ill let you guys know what I end up getting,it might be awhile.I live in Kansas,still pretty cold.I went out last Sunday for about 3 hours,it was 35 degrees,by the time I quit my hands were frozen.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Xterra and did own a F70 for about six months. The F70 is a lower version of the F75 and yes, compared to my Xterra it definitely chattered more, and I found it was more complicated to get set properly. It certainly does well with depth but at wasn't dazzled by it and ultimately sold it. The Xterra on the other hand has loads of features but you can also simply turn it on, ground balance it and start hunting.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am planning in purchasing a Fisher 75, new in April or May when it gets warmer in Connecticut. Good hunting and good luck.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In that price range, I don't think you'll find anything better than an ATP. As long as you don't want to saltwater hunt with it, it'll do everything else.

OP
OP
S

Scott7

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I made my choice went with the racer 2.I know I might catch some flack,but I think I'm going to like it
I've been out 3 times,wich I know isn't near enough to lean the machine, but time will tell. Seems to be well built,pretty light,and balance isn't too bad. My Vaquero is better in those categories though. I like the fact that the menu is right there,and you don't have to dig around to find different settings. I have owned 6 detectors before this one,I like buying American, but I will buy foreign if I think the quality is there, guess that's why I drive a toyota. Makro seems like a great company with good products, and from what I read their customer service is great.So there you have it that's my pick can't wait to get back out with it and experiment some more.Going to an abandoned town site this weekend that has been detected alot.See what I can find

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Do yourself a favor and learn your machine(s).

To each his own, but I think people are underestimating how long it takes to 'become one' with a detector.

Mooncusser, no offense, but learning 3 machines at once? I would go nuts trying to do that.

I hunted with my XLT for more than a decade, and the first year or two were spent learning the sounds and figuring out what it was telling me.

I have had my CTX for about 1 year, and I am going back and re-reading the Sabich book and finding a ton more info.

This translates to new tactics in the field.

MDing is not just swinging a stick and listening to sounds, for me at least.

I understand the Vaquero as being a very solid detector, and I do advocate having a spare or two, but I shudder reading "went out 3 times so I haven't learned it yet.'

Years. Not days.

Many sites, target types, conditions. Moisture in the soil. There are so many variables...

Maybe I am just a MD Geek?

Grumpie

Oct 23, 2016
Cedar Park, Texas
Detector(s) used
Nokta fors gold plus, tesoro lobo supertraq, Makro gold racer, Nokta Makro Anfibio
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think you'll love it, it was a great choice and you'll find that it's very user friendly and simple to use. Make sure you get both scratch covers one for the battery box and one for the LCD screen. I own the gold racer and use it as an all around detector so that should tell you something about Makro, a 56khz detector being used successfully as an all around detector speaks volumes and I guarantee every gold racer owner would agree. I also have a Tesoro and like it too, but why not take every advantage you can with owning the newest technology . The Makro detectors are built too last and have the latest tech. I use the nugget busters with mine and think it's a perfect match

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread