Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In December, a customer of mine who knows of my coin collecting hobby asked if I had a metal detector. When I replied "yes", she invited me to a property that was her childhood home. The property has been vacant for some time because she has been attempting to restore it to a close approximation of her childhood memories and I have had the pleasure of being involved in the flooring portion of her vision. When I arrived, we discussed the next phase of the project and agreed on the materials, costs and timing. Then she asked me to bring my metal detector into the house. She told me that she was sure her father had stashed away treasures in the attic. I tried to explain to her the obstacles involved in metal detecting a house, but she pleaded with me to try.........
As we reached the attic, I noticed that floorboards were already removed in a large area and she explained that she and her husband had tried (in vain) to find her fathers' booty. Well.........after 30 minutes of swinging, eliminating the nails, I found the copper wiring, ceiling light fixtures, the plumbing stack and vent fans, etc. and 3 areas that had some promise.
I was able to reach (at extreme arms length) through the insulation and touch........something in one of the areas..........just by the fingertips.........a corner of.........pulling it by the corner closer and closer........until it was close enough to grab and pull out...........a large padded mailer that I gave to her. As I was cleaning all that insulation off, I watched her open the mailer and pull mint sets and proof sets out by the dozens!!!!
I was awe-struck to think that my little Compadre actually found her treasures!!!
My reward was watching her come down the attic steps clutching that package as close to her heart as she could......and promptly dismissed any notion that she might part with any of those items.........It was a great Christmas gift for both of us.
But the story does not end there. A couple of months later, she called and made the same request suggesting that there was more to be found. It was Easter before we could meet again.............
Attic Treasure 1.jpg
The area in the front was torn up by the home owner..........the single board between the foil vent tubes was my contribution to the mayhem.......
And this was the result after another 30 minute search...........
Attic Treasure 2.jpg

Another large padded mailer and 9 cigar boxes full of proof sets, mint sets, rolled coins, loose coins............
And here I am........still in shock!!!!!!
Attic Treasure 3.jpg

Upvote 0

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, congrats on finding those treasures:thumbsup: Cold, windy, and rainy today, and I was wondering what to do. My house was built in 1906. Guess what I'll be doing today. "Attic Fishing:headbang:" Nice Job:occasion14:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, big congrats! That was exciting to just read!
I like that term "attic fishing" just hate that nasty insulation.

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in the day ppl did not use banks or just felt safer hiding it at home. I live in a house built in 1913 in the town laura ingals wilder grew up in . My house was next door to the school and three houses down from one of the tour homes. They / city moved the school and I could not get permission to go on the lot and then someone bought the lot and built a house there . As I try and fix up this old house I keep thinking just maybe .

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, congrats on finding those treasures:thumbsup: Cold, windy, and rainy today, and I was wondering what to do. My house was built in 1906. Guess what I'll be doing today. "Attic Fishing:headbang:" Nice Job:occasion14:

LOL......We have a double built before 1900. Just finished remodeling the other half in February and put it on the rental market. I have to confess.........MDing the attic on that half was the first thing I did before the new tenants moved in..........did find a couple of interesting items, but no treasure.

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, big congrats! That was exciting to just read!
I like that term "attic fishing" just hate that nasty insulation.

May I coin (pun intended) "attic fishing" in the ads for my new venture............?:laughing7:

OP
OP
C

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the day ppl did not use banks or just felt safer hiding it at home. I live in a house built in 1913 in the town laura ingals wilder grew up in . My house was next door to the school and three houses down from one of the tour homes. They / city moved the school and I could not get permission to go on the lot and then someone bought the lot and built a house there . As I try and fix up this old house I keep thinking just maybe .

WOW.....sounds like "Walnut Grove" has potential!! Swing away!!!

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that must have felt good finding that stash,wonder how many more are out ther

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent work! And needless to say, but I think you earned yourself a customer for life.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread