Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Some history:

The Christmas Club is a savings program that was first offered by various banks during the Great Depression. The concept is that bank customers deposit a set amount of money each week into a special savings account, and receive the money back at the end of the year (usually around 12/1) for Christmas shopping.

The first known Christmas Club started in 1909, when the treasurer of the Carlisle (Pennsylvania) Trust Company, introduced the first Christmas savings fund.

For decades, financial institutions competed for the holiday savings business, offering enticing premiums and advertising items such as TOKENS.

There were also NUMBERED TOKENS issued by the Atlantic Country Trust Co. in Atlantic City, New Jersey, inscribed on the reverse: "Join our Christmas Club and Have Money When You Need It Most."

Don.....

Source: Wikipedia (Christmas Club)
Another source you may wish to pursue is: Slabaugh, Arlie R.; Christmas Tokens and Medals. Chicago: Author, 1966. (ANA Library Catalogue No. RM85.C5S5)

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Thank you SO much Mackaydon! I appreciate the insight.

Here's the back of the X-club token. The numbers read 19173.

I have a new camera and it takes chiity macroshots, so sorry the quality is less than fun.

Again, thanks for the info.

Attachments

• DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 195

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Vibes:

Several sites note that 'your' bank was having legal problems in the late 20s--as was everyone after Black Friday in 1929. One site states that 'your' bank was finally 'closed' on April 2, 1931; just one of 2,291 bank closings that year.

The Christmas Club brought back good memories; thanks.

Don.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread