Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got permission to hunt the Church where I grew up.? Spent the most part of a day working a small area and found some clad.? The church has been there since about 1945 and I expect some silver as the preacher says it hasn't been detected.? I think it has as I didn't find a single penny in the playground chips!? Very unusual!? I found a Jamaican penny of all things right in front of the main entrance.? It's about the size of our half dollar only thinner and made of copper.? On the front is a likeness of Queen Elizabeth II with her name scrolled arouind the edge.? On the back is a coat of arms and the words Jamaica One Penny and is dated 1955.? I thought I found a half dollar at first until I wiped the crud off.? I will post some pics when I finish up sometime next week.? I am griding it off and working very slowly.? I am getting some very large signals below 8" but I don't want to dig up the lawn that bad so I will stick to smaller items no deeper than 6" for the time being.? Maybe if I can get the preacher interested he will want to come over and dig some of those large signals.? I think it's scrap metal from construction but who knows?? I told the pastor today to talk to his congregation and tell them to start losing some larger denomination coins as I am tired of digging up pennies at 4"!? I don't think he got it and it went right over his head! ???? He just doesn't know me well enough yet!? ?:D? JIM

Attachments

• DSC00191.jpg
    DSC00191.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC00190.jpg
    DSC00190.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 258
  • DSC00189.jpg
    DSC00189.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 251
Upvote 0

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Church Hunt

Been there Jim. I have a few churches that I hunt and the pickins' are mighty slim. I did find, at one church, there were trees at one time on the back corner opposite the graveyard side. When I heard that I went to huntin'. I found one silver and a few wheaties. The rest has been clad, but one silver makes the hunt I say. Good luck & HH! Chris

R

rvbvetter

Sounds promising. Finding something that large and that old of date. If it has been hunted before, it seems it wasn't hunted well. Good luck on your new site. HH

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dodged a few thunder boomers this AM and got in about 45 minutes total.? Ran the edge of the sidewalks leading to the original building site with the ACE 250 and Stinger coil.? Found a couple of clad pennies, a new quarter and a 1937 wheat penny.? Everything was at 4" or more.? The wheat was at 6+".? It was in good condition with no staining.? Will go back tomorrow barring another rain storm.? We had several trees downed last night and some large limbs riped off and lots of smaller limbs scattered about due to a thunderstorm last night.? I slept right through it and was surprised when I headed out this morning! JIM

This is supposed to be a virgin site but I can tell it isn't because of the things I am finding.....or not finding! Maybe I'm just the first who asked permission?

?

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe

Good job and the best of luck next trip at your church. Looking forward to the pic of that Jamacian penny

GL & HH,

Dugholes

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good job Jim!

Check around the church itself (directly along the foundation, and out approx. 4 ft all around the building itself)...

I seem to find a lot of stuff others have missed by over looking this area. Most people do the more obvious areas...

I once found an 1800s watch fob with the seal of NY city in excellent cond. and an 1874 with arrows seated 1/2 dollar in EF cond. like 4 inches apart while doing as described above at an old church built in the mid 1800s!

I sold the fob for $65 and the seated 1/2 for $150 and that was 4 or 5 yrs ago!

I have also found tons of other nice coins, tags, tokens, relics, etc. while practicing this method!

Good luck,

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nope, no graveyard, church isn't too old by eastern standards.? First building was put up in about 1947.? Was torn down in the late 60s.? New building now in its place but off to one side.? I was just starting to work where the old building was when I got interrupted.? I have been back once and found only some clad.? Some of it was at 6" so there must have been some backfill when the old building was torn down.? I have only? been finding clad, had expected some more wheaties and possibly some silver, but....sigh.? I've got about half of it covered now and will go back this evening.? It has cooled off here a bit but supposed to get hot again over the week end.? Fall is definately in the air.? Until then.....KS
Oh yes, forgot to add: I tried my 10.5" coil on my GTI 2500 to go deeper. It's just too heavy for me to manage with my bad back. Darn thing completely ruins the balance of my detector. Garrett has to figure out a way to lighten this thing before most will get any use out of it!

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

That item you thought was a half in your first post, did you get to figure out what it was?

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

kwikslvr said:
? I found a Jamaican penny of all things right in front of the main entrance.? It's about the size of our half dollar only thinner and made of copper.? On the front is a likeness of Queen Elizabeth II with her name scrolled arouind the edge.? On the back is a coat of arms and the words Jamaica One Penny and is dated 1955.? I thought I found a half dollar at first until I wiped the crud off.?

It was a Jamaician penny af.

Nice find Jim.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

WOW! How did I miss that!?! :-[ Sorry guys, I'll keep my big mouth shut until I can find a question that hasn't already been asnwered. Thanks! Happy Hunting!

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Church hunt wasn't all I had hoped. I know it has been detected because there is just too much history on those grounds to have left such slim pickings. I probably could have dug some more clad but that wasn't what I was after. The Jamaican penny and the two wheat cents was about all that made the hunt worthwhile. One wheat was a 1948D and the other was a 1937 with no mint mark. The Jamacian penny was dated 1955, but didn't show up too good in the photos. But at least I had an adventure and got to go over some very familiar ground from my youth. On to the next project. Tomorrow morning I am going back to my hunting lease and If I have time I will poke around the old stage coach weigh station site again. Thanks for watching. KS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread