cibola vs silver

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion both are equal in depth in the same ground, but the Silver seems it has a faster response to targets close together. Course it could also be because of my lucky socks.

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
I tried to buy a TNET member's Cibola from the classified ads here, and he told me that I should think twice - b/c he saw that I have a Silver Umax already and according to him he has used both and they are very similar if not the same in depth and discrimination. (very honest opinion I thought) However, that's some other guys opinion - personally I haven't tried both. The Silver Umax is great though and for me the 8" round coil on the silver is perferable to the eliptical coil on the cibola. (have the same coil on my Tejon) That 8" round brown coil is as perfect of a coinshooting coil as there is, in my opinion.

Ian

One other thing I want to say about the silver umax - I believe Sandman is right on about the quick response to targets. I picked up 2 IH pennies mixed in with a bunch of chunks of rusty iron this past fall - at about 2" deep at a sidewalk tear up. The remarkable thing was that these targets SHOULD have been masked, but they weren't. I have no idea how I was able to get a repeatable signal - and I have no idea how the other guys before me missed them. It could be that I was lucky, or it could be the detector - i don't know but it's food for thought. . .

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I've used almost every Silver uMax that has been made. The Silver finds goodies where the others get no signal.

Actually depth is rarely even an issue. Target masking is the big issue.

The Silver's stock brownie coil is great for very trashy sites. But as I wrote in my PM, I personally prefer that 12x10 concentric. It has nearly the target separation of the brownie but gets about 2 inches more depth on a dime and 3 on a quarter.

The Silver uMax with any coil is a killer on nickels. I found more Buffs with my Silver than with any other detector including my Tejon.

It will be interesting to see how the Silver and F-2 compare?

Badger

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Badger - you gotta let us know about that F-2 - lot's of us are waiting to hear! If you like it, I'm going to buy one. I gotta get that 12x10 coil! You have so many good things to say about that thing, plus I saw you dig a horse shoe from about a foot with that coil . . . You say it's sensitive to coins even with the large size? If so, I'll for sure get it. I'm stalking the Fisher CZ series right now, there is something about those machines that's drawing me. So many people love those things, I gotta see why. Oh yeah, I might also get a Vaquero for the heck of it just to try. Way I look at it, I can get any detector I want and If I don't like it, I can always resell it.

Ian

OP
OP
findit

findit

Jul 1, 2007
what about the ed180 vs ed120 on the silver is the silver less likely to find stuff because of this?

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Findit,

I can only tell you this - the silver umax finds good stuff often. It finds things in rough ground all the time. I can dig with confidence. If I hunt a trashy park, about 8 out of 10 targets are good (with alot of practice listening to the machine). The discrimination on the Silver is as accurate as the discrimination on my Tejon (also E180). Are you deciding on which one to buy? If this helps - that pinpoint button on the Cibola is kind of pointless, I hear. The Silver doesn't have a pinpoint but it is EXTREMELY accurate if you simply "x" the target. I rarely mis-udge a target even without pinpoint. Plus, the silver has an all metal mode toggle which is super helpful. If I were you I would do this, purchase a used Silver Umax for around $180 and snag a 12x10 coil. That set up would absolutely rock (ask Badger) and be about the same as a new Cibola.

Ian

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's
The Silver Umax is probably the finest all around detector that Tesoro has ever made. I have one, along with a Cibola, Vaquero, and a Tejon. With the 10x12 coil, the Silver achieves very good depth, but I haven't found that it gets the same depth as a Cibola with the 9x8. In truth, it shouldn't. But like Badger said, depth is not all important. Everyone seems to be consumed by depth, but with my Nautilus IIb, I've rarely dug relics more than 8 inches deep, and it is capable of much greater depth. And the Silver is very capable of digging coin sized targets at 8 inches and more. For air test comparison-quarter with Cibola-16 inches--Silver with 10x12-11 inches. Both had clear signals. Other Silvers may do better or worse, however, that's what mine does, and I'm happy with it.

OP
OP
findit

findit

Jul 1, 2007
shenandoah i would also expect the new tesoro's with the hot technology to get better depth. it only makes sense. of course i agree depth is not everything. but i was trying to see if anyone like yourself who has tried all of them noticed the depth difference as you noted. as you said depending on the type of hunting you do most detectors will be good enough in depth. what were the differences between all the tesoro's you have in depth and what are some of other differences in performance between them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread